Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

License Management, Files and Symbian Signed Issue!!!!

Hi All,

I need to provide a 5 day free trial of my product to my customers.
    After That i intimate the User to Give his License Key so as to validate the same. To do this i am using Files . Initially i store the Expiry date as 5 days ahead of my current Date and after the period is over i read from the file and Pop up the activation form.
    However with this approach there are 2 issues:

* he can uninstall the App and again install it and reuse the 5 day free trial period.

* one of the Symbian signed criteria is that files should be removed on unsinstall, hence i am putting the files in "private" directory as mentioned.
    So is there anyway to save the file even after uninstall and pass the symbian signed criteria simultaneously???

or else is there any other approach to perform such tasks???
    Regards
    Shashi Kiran G M

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: License Management, Files and Symbian Signed Issue!!!!

Well, you can either apply for a waiver or find an innovative workaround for your problem.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Nokia Developer Moderator

Note that anything that a developer can store on the device from code, can be removed with another code, so some kind of online check may be better.
    You check if DRM mechanisms can help you (FN has some docs/examples - www.forum.nokia.com, Documentation/Symbian C++, Browser & DRM & Download).

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the replies wizard_hu & ltomuta . ill try out the solutions mentioned
    Regards
    Shashi Kiran G M