Discussion Board

File System Permissions

Hi,

I'm working with pys60 1.4.3 3rd Edition on my E65.

I run my scripts on my microSD card and am successfull when it comes to creating new files or appending to existing files. But I run into problems when trying to delete or overwrite existing files:
    IOError: [Errno 13]Permission denied: 'e:\\Python\test.ini'

My python script seems to have the create, read and append file access rights but is missing the write/delete rights.

Any help would be very much appreciated!
    Thanks in advance,
    Kurt

Super Contributor

Re: File System Permissions

Hi and welcome to the Python discussion board.

You have to sign your Script Shell in order to get the required capabilities. Go to www.symbiansigned.com, choose Open Signed Online, fill in the data you're asked for, select all the capablilities and upload the Script Shell (the unsigned version). After that you'll receive a confirmation email and then a link to download the signed Shell.
    Also see this page for a description of capabilities.

Hope that helps

Red face Re: File System Permissions

Hi Bogdan,

thank you very much for your fast reply and the contained information. I didn't have time so far to try this website, but does this mean that for each and every change I make to my python script, I will need
    - to create a SIS file and then
    - upload this SIS file to that page and then
    - wait for an email and then
    - install the signed SIS file on my cell phone
    and then finally test the application?

Is there no other way for me to develop and test my scripts? I may perform 100 changes to a script each day while I'm writing new code and testing new functionality. I can't perform all the listed steps above 100 times a day for each minor change to a script...

I hope there is another way (at least for development purposes) to do this?! ::Hope::

Thanks again,
    Kurt

Nokia Developer Moderator

Smile Re: File System Permissions

Quote Originally Posted by kurt123 View Post
    Is there no other way for me to develop and test my scripts? I may perform 100 changes to a script each day while I'm writing new code and testing new functionality. I can't perform all the listed steps above 100 times a day for each minor change to a script...
    Yes there is!

Get your Python script shell signed with all the capabilities that you require. Test your scripts in the shell !

When you have a Alpha, Beta or a final version ready, make a SIS file and then get it open signed on www.symbiansigned.com

Simple isn't it

Best regards,
    Croozeus
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Hi Bogdan,

thanks - that sound way better. I just tried to upload my script shell SIS file but the symbiansign service experiences network communication failures... I guess the service is just down for a couple of hours so I'll try later on.

Once I received my signed shell SIS file, I guess I have to uninstall the current pythen shell SIS on my cell phone and then re-install the new SIS package, correct?

Thanks and Br
    Kurt

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kurt123 View Post
    Once I received my signed shell SIS file, I guess I have to uninstall the current pythen shell SIS on my cell phone and then re-install the new SIS package, correct?

Thanks and Br
    Kurt
    Yes. Uninstall your current Script Shell and install the signed one.

Hi Bogdan,

instead of the network failure message I now get the following error message when I try to upload and sign the official "PythonScriptShell_1_4_3_3rdEd.SIS" shell application:

"FAILURE: Submitted .sis file uses a UID that is not allocated to the account holder matching this email address"

Searching the web for this error message, the advice was given that only Nokia developers can use their e-mail address when signing this application....strange. Anyway, I'm now trying to sign the standard python script shell application for my E65 for a week and it doesn't work due to network issues or strange authentication issues. Am I the only stupid or bad-luck guy on this planet or is this a common problem? And more important: How can I fix this new problem?

This is not what I'd consider good tools from Nokia to support developers ... really unprofessional. Great that there I guys like you, who back up the weaknesses of those Nokia developers.

Thanks again
    Kurt

Super Contributor

Hi Kurt,

I agree with you 100% that Symbian Signed is a horrible concept. At least its current state is really messed up and causing trouble for beginners, intermediates and even advanced developers. Why just a few days ago I, along with many others it seems, was having trouble signing simple applications.

Now back to your Script Shell problem. The error you got was because you were trying to sign the version whose UID was not in the so-called "test range" (0xE0000000...0xEFFFFFFF). So you have to sign "PythonScriptShell_1_4_3_3rdEd_unsigned_testrange.sis".

Hope that helps

That's funny,

I downloaded the unsigned range SIS from sourceforge, successfully uploaded it to symbiansigned online (WOW - it worked the first time I tried - impressed!), received the email with the download link, uninstalled my existing python shell on my E65, installed the newly downloaded and signed python shell and .... when I try to launch the shell on my phone it doesn't launch at all! No error message, the screen just goes gray for a second (as if it would load the shell) and then it returns to where it was without launching the shell.

I'm usually not bad at programming on the "PC" side of the digital world but I guess the rather new "mobile programming" side of the world is not meant for me

Cheers
    Kurt