Discussion Board

When will Nokia (7650) provide local SyncML?

Is there a chance that local SyncML (over Bluetooth or IR) will be available for Nokia phones (especially the 7650) in the near future.

I'm asking this for two reasons:
    1. Mac OS-X is providing sync for local SyncML enabled devices. This works fine with Ericsson phones. Nokia is cutting itself off of the whole Mac market.
    2. I'm just developing a sync module for Europes most popular CRM software. Unless there is local SyncML for Nokia this will be Ericsson only.

I can't understand why this technology isn't already available. All the parts are there in the phones.

Nokia Developer Expert

RE: When will Nokia (7650) provide local SyncML?

Hello!

At this point Nokia does not offer SyncMl client for Nokia 7650 that is able to do local sync. To be honest, I don't know the actual reason for this, but there could be market for someone to create such a client.

Teemu / Forum Nokia

1. Are you talking about iSync? If so, for your information, iSync does not use SyncML to sync with phones. It uses IrMC over Bluetooth/IR. SyncML enabled phones support SyncML over WAP only.

Bluetooth SIG has provided a document which basically describes how the existing Bluetooth Sync Profile (IrMC based) could be upgraded to use SyncML. It is an unofficial document. I do not think any of the Bluetooth stack developers have plans to support it unless the SIG makes it as part of BT profiles and requires the implementation for certification.

/kmk

1. Are you talking about iSync? If so, for your information, iSync does not use SyncML to sync with phones. It uses IrMC over Bluetooth/IR. SyncML enabled phones support SyncML over WAP only.

Bluetooth SIG has provided a document which basically describes how the existing Bluetooth Sync Profile (IrMC based) could be upgraded to use SyncML. It is an unofficial document. I do not think any of the Bluetooth stack developers have plans to support it unless the SIG makes it as part of BT profiles and requires the implementation for certification.

/kmk

I cannot express how disappointed I am with Nokia about this.

I have had a GSM phone for 10 years - and every one has been a Nokia - however I am now moving to Ericsson - as I am sick of Nokia's inabilty to provide local syncing.

It's also time nokia realised that there are more PC Operating Systems than Windows.

Same huge disappointment here so far.

I thought naively that it was possible to work around this limitation by tricking the SyncML client of the 7650 with a "fake" GPRS access point over IR or Bluetooth to connect to my local machine.

Here is what I did:
    1. Create a fake GPRS access point with 0.0.0.0 for the IP address,
    2. Start Bluetooth or IR,
    3. Launch the 7650 SyncML client and try to connect to a local SyncML server I have running on my desktop...

In step 3, if I replace the SyncML client by, say, WebViewer or Doris Browser, I'm able to surf the net from the phone via my PC.

Unfortunately it does not work at all with Nokia's SyncML client... Besides completely puzzling me about the way the network stacks are implemented in the phone (why the heck doesn't it work?), I must say I'm terribly disappointed by the limitation.

Nokia, please, react!?

Olivia.

Silence

It's several months passed - still no answer... Could please anyone from Nokia at least make some statement what is the official position on local SyncML and synchronization in general (especially assuming that 7650 does not support Bluetooth Sync profile AFAIK). Actually, I don't really know how PCSuite is working in these harsh conditions...

isync

Hello,

i noticed that the 3660 have 3 IP Tasks when i establish an Network connect over bluetooth (SP) to the Phone.

1. It request the DNS entry wsockhost.mrouter from the DNS Provided via PPP
    2. It try to connect TCP/3000 on wsockhost.mrouter
    3. It have TCP/3004 open on the Phone

3) Is used for iSync as some mentioned
    2) Is my used for Mrouter Information about the Phone.

Can please anyone Provide mewith Protocol details about the Port 3000 and 3004 ?

Regular Contributor
    Hi

I've written a description for creating a local (Bluetooth) access point on 7650/6600 that can be used for SyncML at:
    http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/mraento/symbian/bt-ap.html

It seems that there may be differences in software versions that affect this behaviour, so it might not work for you. If you have Symbian programming skills, you might be able to fix it. It works for my 7650 and 6600.

Mika