Discussion Board

7710 SDK is not available under VS2003 with carbide.vs or nokia developer suite 1.1

Hi all,

This is my first attempt at developing on a symbian platform since I worked on a Psion Series 5! Should be fun!

To be difficult I'm trying to develop an application for my Nokia 7710. I must say I love this phone. I wish Nokia had continued the platform. It may be buggy and old but I've not yet seen a phone that I'd be happy to let replace my old brick. Bring on touch screen S60 and we'll talk!

I'm having a problem using the Nokia 7710 SDK released start of 2005. I have Visual Studio 2003 installed and I've tried using Carbide.vs 2.0.2 and Nokia Developer Suite 1.1 (I'm running VMWare so snapshotting has been helpful)

Whenever I am presented with an opportunity to enable/disable an SDK I'm always told that the "NOKIA_7710" SDK is "<not available>". I've seen a few people talk about what not available means and I understand that it means the SDK has been found but it is not designed for this platform. Presumably this means it is not designed VisualStudio2003 but for CodeWarrior?

Thing is I've noticed that there is only one download for the 7710 SDK that claims to be fore CW, Borland and VS. Infact when installing the SDK one of the options (under custom install) is Visual Studio Tools? So why can't NDS or Carbide.vs see it?

I know the SDK technically works. If I use the "application wizzard" that came with the SDK to create a project, not only can I open the project in VS but when I hit the "run" button (and entered a path to the emulator) it opens and runs! Fantastic..

Problem is, without the SDK working with NDS/Carbide I can't import and existing package.. Say for example the "examples" that come with the SDK!!!

I've downloaded the SDK for S80v2 which I think came out roughly the same time. I notice that this SDK is released as a CodeWarrior version and a non-CodeWarrior version. I chose the non-CodeWarrior version and it worked, straight out of the box more or less. So now I have two SDK's in my list, S80 and 7710 but the 7710 is always not available?

I know ActivePerl and Java are working. I can make packages manually if I use the Application Wizzard, I just can't import packages or us NDS/Carbide??

It feels like this 7710 SDK is a CW SDK, but the problem is Nokia don't have an alternative? And yet I can use it under Visual Studio sort of!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: 7710 SDK is not available under VS2003 with carbide.vs or nokia developer suite 1

I'll let the Web team know about this and fix the problem. You may also want to use the "Feedback" link at the bottom of the download page to let them know of the problem.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Re: 7710 SDK is not available under VS2003 with carbide.vs or nokia developer suite 1

Thank you! That would be great.

My main concern is that I'm not 100% certain what I was doing is right. I really wanted to make sure that if the SDK says it supports Visual Studio that it should work with NDS or Carbide.vs.

I've also seen that using the application wizzard really just convinces visual studio to use the CW toolchain? That may explain why I can compile code but it's not exactly native support so I don't gain many if any of the benefits. I'll definately leave feedback on the download too

Thanks

The SDK currently available for download has the MSB in the name and that means it supports Microsoft and Borland tools natively. You can still make it work, presumably, by calling
    Code:
    bldmake bldfiles
    abld makefile vc[6|7]
    to generate a VS project out of the Symbian project.

However, to take advantage of the Carbide.vs plug-in you would need the CW version of the SDK as Carbide makes use of the Nokia compiler and not the Microsoft one.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Yep, I've just read the release notes of the MSB SDK currently available for download. It does support the VS .NET 2003 so you do not need Carbide.vs, you should be able to use it "natively".
    -- Lucian