Discussion Board

How to get the app to the phone?

I'd like to buy a phone that I can write my own Java apps for. But how can I get my own app to the phone?
    3410 and 3510i have no cable.
    I could put the app on a website, but how does the phone get it from there?

Please recommend a Java phone that has a cable. (for Spain, Europe)

Nokia Developer Expert

RE: How to get the app to the phone?

Hello

To Deploy MIDlets to the 3410 and 3510i have to be done over the AIR.
    That means that MIDlet have to be places to the www server and configure server mime type correctly.

And what comes to your SIM card:
    you have to specifically request data service when setting up new contract or ask for it to be added if you have an existing contract.

Then you can use your Operator WAP settings to download MIDlet from the server where you have places your MIDlet by making connection to the URL address of where you have located your MIDlet

Cable and infraRed enabeled mobiles as 6310i, 6800, 6100, 6610, 7210, MIDlet can be deployd by cable or IRDa to the models.
    3650, 7650 and 6310i has besides Bluetooth which makes MIDlet installing comfortable.

All the model above has besides GPRS connection which means fast OTA downloading what comes installing MIDlets.

One thing that has to check when configuring www server
    is MIME types:

A useful tool for checking that you have the correct MIME types set up on your server is the web-based header reader at:
    http://www.delorie.com/web/headers.html

You enter the URL of your WML, JAD, or JAR file (use correct case) and click on the view page button. The website then makes a request to your site and displays information about the HTTP headers that are returned. The header results should be:

WML file:
    Content-Type: text/vnd.wap.wml

JAD file:
    Content-Type: text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor

JAR file:
    Content-Type: application/java-archive

And these are the mime types which you should configure to your server.