Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Open Signed Online - Execute application

Hi all!I've done an application in which I intercept incoming sms to write some files.I used Carbide.c++ with SDK 3rd Edition, FP2.In the included emulator it works perfectly.Now I want to test it on a real device.To sign the sis file I thought to use the Open Signed Online.Then I install the application and everything goes ok,but when I try to activate the function of the application to monitor incoming sms,I obtain the following message:"Unable to execute file for security reasons".

Could someone tell me how to test my application?Thanks to everyone!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Open Signed Online - Execute application

This error is probably about missing capabilities, have you added any of them? If you can execute the application inside the emulator, you can check its logfile (http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/Epocwind.out) for platform security warnings (search for platsec).
    Also note that there are a very few S60 3rd edition FP2 devices available now, so your pick of SDK might not be the best possible choice (you can find the SDK requirements for devices in the pages accessible via www.forum.nokia.com/devices).

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    This error is probably about missing capabilities, have you added any of them? If you can execute the application inside the emulator, you can check its logfile (http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/Epocwind.out) for platform security warnings (search for platsec).
    Thanks for your answer!You are right: probably I'm wrong about capabilities.When I used Open Signed Online I checked all available capabilities,do I need to define capabilities in my code too?In which way?
    Also note that there are a very few S60 3rd edition FP2 devices available now, so your pick of SDK might not be the best possible choice (you can find the SDK requirements for devices in the pages accessible via www.forum.nokia.com/devices).
    I used N93 then,according to your link, S60 3rd edition should be ok.Am I right?

Do not skip the words: "S60 3rd Edition (initial release)", so it is neither FP1 nor FP2. S60 3rd edition Maintenance Release is the best for that device.
    And yes, signing and declaring capabilities are two different things. You can add capabilities to your project via the .mmp file (Carbide will offer a checkable list in the Options tab, but it can also be done manually with the CAPABILITY keyword).
    Note that although "adding everything" works, generally it is a bad practice, in the future you should rather understand what your code does, (and check the emulator logfile if it is possible), and declare capabilities according to that.

Do not skip the words: "S60 3rd Edition (initial release)", so it is neither FP1 nor FP2. S60 3rd edition Maintenance Release is the best for that device.
    Ok, I am going to recompile my application.I hope I didn't used APIs which aren't available in the Maintenance Release!But could S60 3rd Edition FP2 version work anyway?
    And yes, signing and declaring capabilities are two different things. You can add capabilities to your project via the .mmp file (Carbide will offer a checkable list in the Options tab, but it can also be done manually with the CAPABILITY keyword).
    Note that although "adding everything" works, generally it is a bad practice, in the future you should rather understand what your code does, (and check the emulator logfile if it is possible), and declare capabilities according to that.
    Thank you very much .Next time I'll check only capabilities really necessary.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by LuPo View Post
    Hi all!I've done an application in which I intercept incoming sms to write some files.I used Carbide.c++ with SDK 3rd Edition, FP2.In the included emulator it works perfectly.Now I want to test it on a real device.To sign the sis file I thought to use the Open Signed Online.Then I install the application and everything goes ok,but when I try to activate the function of the application to monitor incoming sms,I obtain the following message:"Unable to execute file for security reasons".

Could someone tell me how to test my application?Thanks to everyone!
    Try this: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/Epocwind.out

Kiran.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

To understand which capabilities should I declare, I have to watch to the PlatSecDisabledCaps in the Epocwind.out?

No, you search further. Both Kiran and I have linked the Wiki page, there you can find an example at the bottom.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by LuPo View Post
    To understand which capabilities should I declare, I have to watch to the PlatSecDisabledCaps in the Epocwind.out?
    Do not temper with any setting on Emulator for now. Just run your application and check the content of "Epocwind.out" file.
    Just follow the Wiki article as said by Wizard.

Kiran.

Also Carbide.c++ 1.3 includes dedicated tools for solving this kind of problems. I'm not going to look for the link now but if you need more info you find them in my blog.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Hello, everybody

I met the same problem , so I come here. I am sorry to disturb you.

To be sure which capabilities needed in my project. I enter the website "http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/Epocwind.out", as the instruction, I find the file Epocwind.out in the relevant path. but the content is different with the example at the bottom of the website. it is copied here:
    0.000 FAULT: Exception 10000000
    0.000 FAULT: Exception 10000000...

I find the file was only modified at the time when I set up the SDK. Then I do as the description in the website:
    "For the file to be created, "Enable EPOCWIND.OUT logging" must be enabled under the C++ Debug tab of the preferences dialog of the emulator window"
    but a dialog titled "Ecmt Manager" is pop up and show: "Can not start Ecmt Manager"

Can you please give me any advice on it?
    Thank you very much.
    Sophie

Nokia Developer Champion

It is very simple. Just search "ecmt" on the discussion boards and you would find your answer.

Kiran.

Quote Originally Posted by kiran10182 View Post
    Just search "ecmt" on the discussion boards and you would find your answer.
    Kiran.
    Thank you very much, I have resolved it.

No, you search further. Both Kiran and I have linked the Wiki page, there you can find an example at the bottom.
    Then do I have to watcht to "*PlatSec* WARNING" as described in the Platform Security Messages section of the document you linked?

Yes. Why do you ask that?