Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Socket Sendto is taking too much time when Wifi is down

Hi,

I have connected to WiFi using RConnection and passing the same instance to RSocket::Open.

I am using multiple threads and WiFi connection management is done in main thread and socket operations are done in another thread.

Every thing is fine, except when WiFi goes completely down. When down, Sendto (UDP) is taking from 600ms to 5 sec to comeout. Ofcourse with error -3.
    I am calling User::WaitForRequest() immediately after calling Sendto.[I desperately do this, since I'm porting, I should not change the Framework behaviour]

How to prevent this scenario. My thread blocks on Sendto.

Thanks for your time and help.

Re: Socket Sendto is taking too much time when Wifi is down

Argh!

Porting is not an excuse for sloppy coding! You should not use blocking APIs. Period. Ironically you yourself point out that you're thread blocks on SendTo...

I'm surprised that you are suffering from SendTo blocking for that long a period since there's no retry mechanism for UDP packets and if the flow is down, the packets should just be discarded, in device.

One solution could be to use a timer to wait for SendTo to complete, before cancelling the request, but I don't personally recommend it, because the amount of variation in the type of bearer present on a mobile device.

Quote Originally Posted by bytes View Post
    Hi,

I have connected to WiFi using RConnection and passing the same instance to RSocket::Open.

I am using multiple threads and WiFi connection management is done in main thread and socket operations are done in another thread.

Every thing is fine, except when WiFi goes completely down. When down, Sendto (UDP) is taking from 600ms to 5 sec to comeout. Ofcourse with error -3.
    I am calling User::WaitForRequest() immediately after calling Sendto.[I desperately do this, since I'm porting, I should not change the Framework behaviour]

How to prevent this scenario. My thread blocks on Sendto.

Thanks for your time and help.

Regular Contributor

Re: Socket Sendto is taking too much time when Wifi is down

Hi Max,

Thanks for your reply.

So the best coding is, use Sockes in asynchoronous way and as soon I detect WiFi down, cancel the request. I hope I'm on right track.

Is there no other way ???

One of my intentions for the post, is I need the reason for this behaviour.

Any of the forum members facing the same problem ???

cheer
    Bytes