Discussion Board

Unable to play RTP Payload(Actual Voice Data coming from remote client) in WAV format

Hi all,

I am working on a project MobileSIPClient. The aim of the project
    is to form a SIP Client which performs;

- registration to a proxy server.
    - deregistration
    - adding a contact
    - deleting a contact
    - instant messaging
    - getting the presence information of the contacts
    - editing account settings
    - making a call. (Real-Time)

I have already achieved first 7 steps. They work well. But I have some concerns about the last step - making a call in REAL-TIME.

I am using SIP protocol for signalling. I am developing this project in J2ME by using Eclipse IDE and Sun Wireless Toolkit 2.5.2. In the step "Making a Call" especially in RTP step, I have achieved:
    - Opening Connection for Receiving
    - Receiving Packets
    - RTP Packet Extraction

My Questions:

- As far as I know, J2ME MMAPI has already PCM codec support. But this is for capturing audio and for playing the audio coming from the remote client? Is this right?

Any need to implement a codec code to play RTP Packets coming from remote client?

- While trying to play RTP Payload, it throws an exception.

ByteArrayInputStream in = new ByteArrayInputStream(RTPSourceStream.getInstance().getRTPPayload());

this.rtp_play = Manager.createPlayer(in, "audio/x-wav");
    this.rtp_play.realize(); // Failing at this point
    this.rtp_play.start();

The exception is:

javax.microedition.media.MediaException: Failed to realize Player: Malformed wave media: expected 'RIFF'
    at com.sun.mmedia.WavPlayer.doRealize(+341)
    at com.sun.mmedia.BasicPlayer.realize(+84)
    at RTPConnection.run(+130)

As I understood, we cannot play the raw RTP Payload directly. We need to convert it to something to WAV format. Is this right?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Nazan

Re: Unable to play RTP Payload(Actual Voice Data coming from remote client) in WAV fo

Can you please share me the code ?

Red face Re: Unable to play RTP Payload(Actual Voice Data coming from remote client) in WAV fo

I am also facing this problem Please any body can send me the idea how it will be solve. Its my final year project its already too late...

Regular Contributor

Angry Re: Unable to play RTP Payload(Actual Voice Data coming from remote client) in WAV fo

I think this happens because RTP is not supported in J2ME. I am also developing SIP client in J2ME. Can u tell me how u r capturing voice from microphone? and do u stop recorder for accessing recorded bytes? I have problem with this. I can not access recorded bytes until I stop recorder. But this will fail the idea of real time call. So how u had done this and how u had created a RTP connection and RTP packets?

Waiting for ur reply......

Re: Unable to play RTP Payload(Actual Voice Data coming from remote client) in WAV fo

Can u tell me how u r capturing voice from microphone? and do u stop recorder for accessing recorded bytes? I have problem with this. I can not access recorded bytes until I stop recorder. But this will fail the idea of real time call
    You need to play around with multiple players in multiple threads, to capture 100 or 500 milisec's of audio and transmit in packets one after the other using some standard voice codec's similar to what Skypee is using. You may not RTP for this.
    Thanks,
    Ekta