Discussion Board

Capture screen in nokia 5200

Hi, I need to capture snapshots in 5200 phone.
    I tried using capture://video, but getSnapshot is not supported for that locator, so I switched to capture://image, but capture is very slow and it plays an anoying camera sound every time a snapshot is taken. At most it captures 1 picture per second. (this used to work better in my ex w300i)

Anyway, now I'm trying to somehow capture the canvas screen while it's showing the camera image in realtime. I read somewhere that this could be achieved with Nokia UI Util, but I can't figure out how to do it. :S

Can someone help me on this?
    Maybe this is not the best aproach. Basically I need to stream small pictures captured via bluetooth (I've got the bluetooth part figured out).

I don't need it to be portable, just make it work on my 5200.

My kingdom for some help!

Leo

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Capture screen in nokia 5200

Hi Leo,

To get snapshots from phone camera, the only way to get it is using the locators you've already tried. If you want to get a more continuous image stream, then you might think about capturing video, and not still images.

About capturing the whole screen, you were maybe referring to DirectGraphics.getPixels() Nokia proprietary method. To get more infos:

http://www.forum.nokia.com/document/...tGraphics.html

Pit

Thanks for your reply, jappit.

Capturing video is not a solution, because I have to stop recording in order to get the captured info. Bytes are not accesible until video headers are written when recording is stoped.

DirectGraphics.getPixels() is exactly what I was referring. I've read the link you mentioned, but there are no examples there.

Has someone done this?

Thanks,

Leo

No answers on this?

Regular Contributor

Thumbs up Re: Capture screen in nokia 5200

Quote Originally Posted by leonardog View Post
    Hi, I need to capture snapshots in 5200 phone.
    I tried using capture://video, but getSnapshot is not supported for that locator, so I switched to capture://image, but capture is very slow and it plays an anoying camera sound every time a snapshot is taken. At most it captures 1 picture per second. (this used to work better in my ex w300i)

Anyway, now I'm trying to somehow capture the canvas screen while it's showing the camera image in realtime. I read somewhere that this could be achieved with Nokia UI Util, but I can't figure out how to do it. :S

Can someone help me on this?
    Maybe this is not the best aproach. Basically I need to stream small pictures captured via bluetooth (I've got the bluetooth part figured out).

I don't need it to be portable, just make it work on my 5200.

My kingdom for some help!

Leo
    Thank you for confirming that the relatively low-spec Nokia 5200 supports video capturing.

Regular Contributor

I would like to help you in return, Leo.
    You read spanish? article

This article is translated at ieeecomputersociety.org, but those b**ches charge money for it. I would contact these 2 authors directly - or just use the API and test what happens.

Regular Contributor

So did you figure out how to use the Nokia UI to access the canvas while it's updated with images from the camera?

Hi Steel_BRS

Sorry i haven't replied before. I'm a bit frustrated with this issue.
    I do read spanish, since it's the main language in my country.
    I've read the article you suggested. They mention the use of DirectGraphics but without any examples. Instead, they use the getSnapshot() aproach for their experiments.

Have you tried using the Nokia UI API?

Thanks a lot for your interest.

Leo

Regular Contributor

Hi Leo, no I haven't investigated the Nokia UI API because I'm developing a midlet for general distribution.
    Have you experimented with DirectGraphics? Also if you need logging on your 5200, Hartti found a nice way in this thread.

I would like to help you further, but that would mean coding it myself, and I can't spare the time at the moment, sorry.

I'm not quite sure how to implement the use of DirectGraphics.

I know I should use the getPixels method to copy pixels from the screen, but for that I need the canvas's graphics object, wich is only available in the paint method.

So, when (and why) should I call the paint method? The VideoControl itself never calls the paint method. I guess VideoControl has another way of drawing to the screen. Is this correct?

Please tell me if I've got something wrong.

Leo