Discussion Board

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Nokia 6300i with Voip - other than Gizmo5

I have bought an Nokia 6300i and this one have only one choice for an IP-provider, and this is Gizmo5.
    I have been in contact with NokiaCare for 3 months, without any solution to use my danish IP-provider FONET.DK.
    I am told that 6300i should work with any IP-provider, if I got the right OMA DM sent by SMS.

Are there someone here you could help me?

Kindly regards,
    Ove

Re: Nokia 6300i with Voip - other than Gizmo5

Hi Soegaard,

Exact same story here! I bought a 6300i a few days ago under the impression it was going to have a similar VoIP client as the one integrated in the N95's S60 (which I tried and works flawlessly).

I guess our only option is either a firmware update by Nokia itself or WidSets. I think an update would be best, since would integrate all VoIP functions in the phone's OS AND will definitely boast Nokia's 6300i sales. I mean, what's the point in getting a 6300i rather than a 6300 if you can only use Gizmo5 for VoIP ? What about all the other customers like us with our own SIP VoISP?

Interestingly, from this document I understand they are working on it, but it's not quite ready.

So, to all users looking for a review of 6300i VoIP functions before purchase: DON'T BUY IT. At the moment 6300i firmware is far from being ready for a native VoIP client.

I am very unhappy that Nokia will send a new mobile phone on the market, where they advertise in that it has its own VoIP, which can be used on the user's own IP client.
    Nokia is a very long time to come up with an individual temporary solution, or an update of the software with VoIP rel. 7.2. Nokia must be able to make a setup on our IP client as they can send us as SMS.
    Kindly regards,
    Ove

Quote Originally Posted by magisterlindus View Post
    Interestingly, from this document I understand they are working on it, but it's not quite ready.

So, to all users looking for a review of 6300i VoIP functions before purchase: DON'T BUY IT. At the moment 6300i firmware is far from being ready for a native VoIP client.

The VoIP account creation menu in the 6300i seems to go to a web page where the VoIP providers are listed (btw. noticed that one gets different listing when one has SIM card in the phone and when one does not have SIM card in the phone. Some sort of fitlering applied when SIM card is present ?). Has anyone found any information how the VoIP providers can be added to that page ? e.g. would it be possible to suggest new VoIP providers to be added to the page that we see in 6300i account creation menu.

Some people say in the Net that using nowSMS tool its possible to configure Nokia phones via SMS by sending a configuration XML, would that XML mean in 6300i VoIP case this: http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...s_Example.html

?

Haven't tried OMA DM yet.

Yet, the Nokia 6300i has no user interface for creating or changing a VoIP setting except this online assistant (currently just with a few predefined settings) driven by Nokia. To create your own:
    1. VoIP for Series 40 (more details for S60; even a graphical tool)
    2. libwbxml
    3. Patch for libwbxml (really required?)
    4. OMA DM or OMA CP (which allows SMS and Bluetooth as transport)
    So in theory the idea is, to change an example XML file to your settings according the tutorial and convert that into WBXML. Then change the file ending of that WBXML to .prov and send it as file over Bluetooth to your Nokia 6300i. Correct? That is the ‘easiest’ way I found so far.
    Last edited by traud; 2008-06-30 at 07:27.

Quote Originally Posted by traud View Post
    Correct? That is the ‘easiest’ way I found so far.
    traud, many many thanks for your reply. But I'm starting to think I'm just not good enough to do all the above.
    How about I give you my VoISP settings and you do it for me? I'm sure we can arrange something via Paypal.

magisterlindus, which step makes you trouble? Have you looked at that example XML file and the PDF-tutorial?

Quote Originally Posted by traud View Post
    magisterlindus, which step makes you trouble? Have you looked at that example XML file and the PDF-tutorial?
    SIP_appref and Realm to start with...

Is there a way to download the currently setup Gizmo5 XML from my phone?

P.S. PayPal offer still valid

Realm of your VoIP instructions (if required at all) goes into AAUTHDATA within the XML file.
    SIP_appref in the XML file? Just keep it. It is something like an internal ID-link between the VoIP and SIP setting: VoIP w9013 TO-APPREF » SIP w9010 APPREF.

I am not aware of an easy solution to extract the configuration. Perhaps with special tools? My way, start the VoIP assistant and display its URL via Options » Add bookmark and the Bookmarks » Options » Send » Via Bluetooth and exract the URL from the received file through an text editor. Then open that URL in your browser and access the list of providers, fill out the data and it should be saved to your computer. Then open that in a hex-editor and locate the beginning of the WBXML (0x03 0B 6A 00). Strip anything before that and convert the result into XML.

By the way, the steps outlined are so far just theory. I do not have a working configuration either (yet). However, if you have your own VoIP server, contact me via my profile (email enabled temporary) and I try.

This seems to work.
    1) take S40 VoIP v72 example and modify it
    2) Make the libwbxml with the patch
    3) make .prov file with xml2wbxml.exe tool from your xml file
    4) scan and connect 6300i via Bluetooth.
    5) send the .prov file to the connected 6300i

Hello Sudude,
    It sounds good if you have managed to create a new setup for your own IP provider, but I as an ordinary user with very little knowledge of programming, have difficulty understanding how to use the patches and the files are in xml2wbxml tool.
    I am only in possession of the following information from my IP provider:
    Proxy: gw1.fonet.dk
    Username: xxxxx
    Password: YYYYY

Is it possible to make a step instructions for an inexperienced person like me?

Well it took some trial and error before I got it working

Filling the XML if only proxy is known will most likely mean an error (I knew more parameters for my provider and still managed to make some mistakes few times ). Does the provider you are trying to setup give any guides to the users how to setup own VoIP clients to their networks ? and do they provide free username/passwords for their service so that it could be tried out for VoIP - VoIP calls ?

Regarding the libwbxml, I simply followed the steps in the page and succeeded. One thing to point out, when you edit the .c file use either the C++ tool (I used the free Microsoft tool to whcih there was the link on the page, altough it was a 3G download!) you are using or notepad. If you use word or something similiar it might make some formating changes to the file and then it does not work.

Hope this helps.

sudude, did you try without patching libwbxml? Theoretically, Series 40 has not to share the same bug as S60 has in this regard. I am sure, avoiding this step would make it much easier for others.

No I didn't. I followed blindly the patch page guide. I would say that the patching the libwbxml and building it with the instructions on the page was very easy.

Where I spent some time was filling the XML and trying (trial error) to get it working.