Discussion Board

Thread: Location API

Location API

Hello everyone, I have just a few questions about this API. Most of the mobile phones in the country I am living is 5-2 years old, which does not support many things, only JAVA. I was looking how to triangulate mobile phones position and I found Location API. And the question is will it work on such old phones? I have 6021 as test platform, would it work on this one? Does this API use cell towers to get the location or only works with GPS?

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Location API

Without phone's support for Location API, then it'll be not possible to access Location functionalities from a Java ME app.

About other location methods (cells, triangulation), this other threads contain useful infos:

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=120809
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=136748

Just to mention it, a possibility could be to use some sort of IP geocoding, that is: retrieve user location from his IP address. But, this approach is far from being accurate (and correct, most of times).

Pit

Hm... IP Geocoding looks really nice and could be used in my idea, but the questio is how accurate it would be with mobile phones. As I can see it only would able to tell in which city you are (and that's still pretty good). Could it be even more accurate? There should be somewhere a database with some accurate information. Hm...

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi David,

IP Geocoding could be less accurate than you say, since (for example) an IP bought by an organization/a provider can be used by a user that is located somewhere else (e.g.: in another city). So, when you use it, you should take into account the possible pros (geocoding possible on all phones) and cons (possible wrong results), and see if it could work for you.

Anyway, just searching the web you'll be able to find a lot of documentation about IP geocoding, like this:

http://www.joefission.com/2007/11/ge...an-ip-address/

Hope it helps,
    Pit