Discussion Board

Simple spy phone python script

I've made a simple python script which runs on a PyS60 compatible device and waiting to call it from a specific number. When you hung up and script has acknowledge the number then it automatically starts recording anything happens around the phone.
    I have test it successfully on my Nokia N95 8GB.
    You can find more here.
    Have fun!

Re: Simple spy phone python script

The problem with call recording is that it signals it to the other party.

i guess it would be more effective to parse incoming sms' for certain strings, and if found, delete the sms immediatly. as far as i know, the phone doesn't show a notification about new sms-messages if it get's deletet.
    so basically you just have to make a "deamon" running in the background, which checks newly received messages, and depending on content either deletes the sms and calls a function, or just does nothing, so the user doesn't notice anything.

-- Sorry double post, moderators please delete it --

Quote Originally Posted by szallah View Post
    i guess it would be more effective to parse incoming sms' for certain strings, and if found, delete the sms immediatly. as far as i know, the phone doesn't show a notification about new sms-messages if it get's deletet.
    so basically you just have to make a "deamon" running in the background, which checks newly received messages, and depending on content either deletes the sms and calls a function, or just does nothing, so the user doesn't notice anything.
    sms is cost effective and I don't prefer it. Just put your number in a group and select a blank sound so you have no ring, just vibration. Also you don't have to hold it rang a lot of times and I don't believe that someone suspect anything because someone else give you a missed call. Anyway that's why I give the code, you are free to manipulate it as you like and having fun.
    Tip: I have my phone inside a pouch so no one knows whats happening

@jambel

well, i guess it depends on what the programm is created for.
    for me it would make sense to trigger spy-functionality without the user noticing it. the reason: there's just one case in which i would like my phone to perform certain tasks remotely, which is when it got stolen.
    imagine a thief playing around with your phone, the phone rings, it obviously doesen't really do anything, but e.g. you hear how the camera gets activated. this might be a reason for the thief to immediately turn off the phone and change the sim. after that point, you don't have any chance to remote-control your phone, since you don't have the phonenumber of the new sim, and therefore no further chance to track the phone by yourself.
    ok, maybe that's generally not what you would like to do. but at least for me, this would be the only situation where i want my phone to be controlled remotely. plus: parsing sms' gives you the option to trigger different actions depending on the string. to do that by just caling the phone would require several number to call from.

@jambel

well, i guess it depends on what the programm is created for.
    for me it would make sense to trigger spy-functionality without the user noticing it. the reason: there's just one case in which i would like my phone to perform certain tasks remotely, which is when it got stolen.
    imagine a thief playing around with your phone, the phone rings, it obviously doesen't really do anything, but e.g. you hear how the camera gets activated. this might be a reason for the thief to immediately turn off the phone and change the sim. after that point, you don't have any chance to remote-control your phone, since you don't have the phonenumber of the new sim, and therefore no further chance to track the phone by yourself.
    ok, maybe that's generally not what you would like to do. but at least for me, this would be the only situation where i want my phone to be controlled remotely. plus: parsing sms' gives you the option to trigger different actions depending on the string. to do that by just caling the phone would require several number to call from.
    wow, I believe this would be my next project!
    Thanks szallah!

Super Contributor

this might be a reason for the thief to immediately turn off the phone and change the sim. after that point, you don't have any chance to remote-control your phone, since you don't have the phonenumber of the new sim, and therefore no further chance to track the phone by yourself.
    That's indeed what "phone antitheft" programs do (like Guardian or my Jython study for phone antitheft.

Unfortunately, Guardian is not free, and my script is only suitable for phones supporting Javaphone API...

But it's just a matter of finding out how to read IMSI number using python: IMSI is the number of your SIM; once you store it, a daemon program could check at phone startup for current IMSI: if it does not match, program sends an SMS to a previoulsy stored number (yours) thus revealing thief's phone number.

But it looks like it is not (currently) possible?!?

Nokia Developer Champion

yes cassioli i agree with you and the idea given by szallah is great but really sad that PyS60 is not capable of that yet. hope somebody of us write an extension on that. and makes it possible

Super Contributor

From Newlc.com:

The IMSI can be obtained using the following code:
    CTelephony telephony = CTelephony::NewL();
    TRequestStatus status;
    CTelephony::TSubscriberIdV1 subscriberId;
    CTelephony::TSubscriberIdV1Pckg subscriberIdPckg(subscriberId);
    telephony->GetSubscriberId(status, subscriberIdPckg));
    User::WaitForRequest(status);
    User::LeaveIfError(status);
    TPtrC theIMSI(subscriberId.iSubscriberId);
    On the Series 60 platform, the same is possible for the phones that support the 3rd Party Telephony API (this means phones based on S60 v2 FP3 and later).

http://www.newlc.com/How-to-retrive-...SI-number.html

I also think that an AT command exists for retreiveing IMSI.
    Can AT commands be sent to internal modem by a C++ or python program?!?

Nokia Developer Champion

hi cassioli
    i was just to ask this question i think somebody has written one article on this on the wiki i am checking it out.
    you also do this.

may i ask, why checking imsi should be implemented?
    i'm surly not familiar about the actions a thief makes when he gathers a cell-phone. but i would assume, that he/she would first try to make calls etc. using the inserted card to save some money. therefore, full anti-theft functinality should already be given without checking imsi.

basically, the programm simply should be configurated to start at boot, und to be hidden from the tasklist. that given, the thief won't know anything about it.
    as soon as the program get's activated by sms, it at least should send location-information (LAC,CID,MCC,MNC) periodically. maybe every half hour at least. this would be quite simple to realize, and for investigating a great help.
    sending mms with pictures, maybe gps-data etc. would be useful as well i guess...

Nokia Developer Champion

hi szallah
    let me remind you now a days thieves are very intelligent they dont use the phone just take the sim out and threw it somewhere.
    if they use that sim then its very easy to track that thief.

Regular Contributor

I should say in India when thieves steal Mobile phone's they destroy the SIM card first.

PS-> you are reading a comment given by a person whose Nokia 6600 was stolen 2 years ago.
    IDEAS is all they need but still they think only Genius can give them that.

@gaba88

i don't doubt, that most thiefs get rid of the old sim...
    but: it could also be the case, that the phone just gets lost und found by someone nice who plans to return the phone. in that case it still would be interesting where the phone is, even without a sim-change.

of course, the change of the sim-card is very important. but triggering the "spy-function" should also be doable with a simple sms... even if it's never needed - which we all should hope anyway - it might come in handy...