Discussion Board

Performance estimation with emulators?

Is there any way to estimate the performance of my MIDP application from it's performance in Nokia MIDP SDK emulated devices? It seems to me that the current emulated Nokia phones available for the MIDP development don't try to simulate the actual CPU power of the actual device. This makes it difficult to try to guesstimate what can be done and what can't be done with the actual performance of the physical phones... I assume that they don't contain 1GHz Intel/AMD processors with nVidia supplied graphics accelerators

RE: Performance estimation with emulators?

I wrote simple test suite for devices with J2ME support. You can download it with source code from the http://www.dogada.com/javame/.
    Test results list contains:
    May 16, 2002 - Palm Vx
    May 15, 2002 - Emulator Nokia 6310i MIDP SDK Beta 0.1
    May 15, 2002 - Emulator Sun J2ME Wireless Toolkit 1.0.3

RE: Performance estimation with emulators?

Use Sun Wireless toolkit ver 1.0.4 beta. It can emulate VM execution speed, graphics primitives latency, display refresh and network throughput of real devices.

WBR,
    Alexey Epishkin
    Offshore Algorithms Co.

Re: Performance estimation with emulators?

Quote Originally Posted by epishkin
    Use Sun Wireless toolkit ver 1.0.4 beta. It can emulate VM execution speed, graphics primitives latency, display refresh and network throughput of real devices.
    But, are those settings enough to get a near enough simulation of a real device (e.g. network latency and collitions)?