Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Smile Capabilities for saving a XML file to Disk in Symbian OS

Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by liuxingyu_best; 2009-01-06 at 11:11.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Capabilities for saving a XML file to Disk in Symbian OS

When you write applications start with "CAPABILITY NONE" in the MMP file and then add capabilities as you go, when and if you need them.

The emulator can report to you (through the epocwind.out file) if you need more capabilities or not. Carbide.c++ 1.3 also has dedicated tools for analyzing these requirements.

AllFiles is a capability that requires manufacturer's approval and especially such capabilities should not be used unless absolutely necessarily. In fact they are hardly ever needed.

To save a file on the C:\ drive (any type of file and in fact on any drive) you do not need any capability as long as you do not write in a protected location. If you write in your data cage or if you write in an unprotected area (such as C:\Data\Others) you have no restrictions at all.

I have said it before and I am forced to repeat it, don't even think about developing S60 applications if you do not know by heart the Platform Security paradigm.
    Last edited by ltomuta; 2008-06-25 at 14:19.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Smile Re: Capabilities for saving a XML file to Disk in Symbian OS

Thanks a lot.

Regular Contributor

Smile Re: Capabilities for saving a XML file to Disk in Symbian OS

Thanks a lot.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by liuxingyu_best View Post
    ...but in Emulator, if I don't choose the capability: "AllFiles", the XML file cannot be generated.

Thank you
    Why? What does it says? Any error?

Kiran.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Nokia Developer Champion

where is the protected area in symbian? is Z:/dirve ?

Thank you
    Open SDK help and locate:
    Introduction to S60 3rd Edition >> Platform Platform FAQ >> General Information about Symbian OS Platform Security
    Kiran.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Thank you for your reply, but in Emulator, if I don't choose the capability: "AllFiles", the XML file cannot be generated.

Thank you
    You have to prove this by posting here the relevant error messages from epocwind.our and/or your API calls.

In programming if something does not work you can always determine why by collecting logs or any other error information you can find. Then you analyze the problem and provide a solution that solves that problem while keeping the project in the designed parameters. If creating the file would truly require AllFiles capability then I would rather think about not creating a file at all. So don't rush into simply adding something that you do not necessarily understand.

Sorry for the "lecture", but I hope you'll find it useful. If you have any more questions please do not hesitate to ask.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    When you write applications start with "CAPABILITY NONE" in the MMP file and then add capabilities as you go, when and if you need them.

The emulator can report to you (through the epocwind.out file) if you need more capabilities or not. Carbide.c++ 1.3 also has dedicated tools for analyzing these requirements.

AllFiles is a capability that requires manufacturer's approval and especially such capabilities should not be used unless absolutely necessarily. In fact they are hardly ever needed.

To save a file on the C:\ drive (any type of file and in fact on any drive) you do not need any capability as long as you do not write in a protected location. If you write in your data cage or if you write in an unprotected area (such as C:\Data\Others) you have no restrictions at all.

I have said it before and I am forced to repeat it, don't even think about developing S60 applications if you do not know by heart the Platform Security paradigm.
    Can You Tell Me,Where did I Get xml to sis Converter? Coz in Carbide.UI the Themes Are Saved in xml Format.So I need to convert.Please Tell Me

There is no such thing as XML to SIS converter. You can however package an XML file in a SIS file, if need be.
    -- Lucian