Discussion Board

How to deal with the plug-in files when deploying an application to device?

Hello everybody,

I edited a project based on S60 3rd SDK with fp1, and I set up some plug-in files to the path:'\epoc32\include', some of which are from the folder named 'S60_3rd_SDK_FP1_API_Plug-In_Pack_v2_43', now the project can work well on emulator. I am going to deploy it to a handset, the files of .pkg, .sis, .sisx are all created successfully, but I do not know how to deal with these plug-in files which have been set up into the PC/emulator environment. I do not think these files have been stored in s60 device. so how can I set up the files on device?

Can anybody give me any information on it?

Thanks and Regards!
    Sophie

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How to deal with the plug-in files when deploying an application to device?

The plug-in delivers header files and libraries needed for linking. All the needed DLLs are in fact already on the device, except in the real cases (e.g. APS, VAS, CAC) when some binaries need indeed be deployed on the phone, but in this case a signed SIS file is provided with the package.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    but in this case a signed SIS file is provided with the package.
    I can not understand you very well. can you introduce it more clearly.

Thank you!

Nokia Developer Moderator

If you use APS for example, you copy all the needed files in the SDK and you build your application. However, it will not work on the device since it is linked against a DLL which is not part of the firmware. In fact, APS is a server, so in order for your application to work you also need the APS server exe on the device.

That is why we have provided in the API package a SIS file that you (and your customers) will need to install on the device. The SIS file is already signed so you do not have to worry about the capabilities it uses and any other PlatSec specific parameters it might have.

What you may want to do, in order to simplify the installation, it is to embed this SIS file in your own package.

But as I've said these are special cases. If no SIS file is provided with the API you use then nothing needs to be installed on the device aside from your own binaries.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Great!

I make a practice as you said just now, it can work well!

Thanks for your help again.
    Sophie