Discussion Board

"Create content once." I don't understand this in XHTML_White_Paper.PDF doc

Hi,
    I'm reading a Forum Nokia document that name is XHTML_White_Paper.PDF, and I not understand:
    page 9: Benefits of XHTML: "Create content once."
    If I have got a large web page, then I have to edit again a new page in XHTML, if I want to publish that on a mobile XHTML browser. This is similar to WML, I have to work twice, because I have to make a small XHTML page for mobile devices and a large HTML page for PC browsers. Do I think this well?

Thanks, Attila (Hu).

Regular Contributor

RE: "Create content once." I don't understand this in XHTML_White_Paper.PDF doc

Hello!

Transition from WML to XHTML will bring web and mobile content authoring closer together because the language is same for both environments. When you have the content in XHTML, you can use cascading style sheets to optimize the content for different browsers according to clients capabilities, such as screen size, memory resources etc. However, it is good to keep in mind that not all services created and optimized for PC browsers, are directly suitable for mobile browsers. Mobile users needs differ from one of PC users. Mobile users prefer brief and exact information which can be accessed quickly without needing to browse around.

Kind regards,
    Satu/Forum Nokia Developer Support

RE: "Create content once." I don't understand this in XHTML_White_Paper.PDF doc

One advice:
    When creating XHTML pages for different screen sizes, one CSS property is quite good. I mean the display: none -property;. With that you can leave out some non-relevant information for small devices.

BR,
    Teppo