Discussion Board

How to verify the capabilities that has been used in an application?

Hello everybody,

now I finished a project. but I forgot to add the capabilities to my project when using some API.and now it is impossible to check every APIs in SDK. So, I think there must be other method to know which capabilities are used in my project.

Can anybody please help me! thanks very much!

Best regards!
    Sophie

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How to verify the capabilities that has been used in an application?

Does your application run in the emulator? In that case you can check its logfile http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/Epocwind.out, for platsec warnings.

Thank you first.

Because my application has dependence on device, so it just can be run on device.

In addition, suppose the project can be run on the emulator, and I use the APIs which need add relevant capabilities in the project. but if the part code including the APIs is not run into when running the whole project. then I think the epcowind.out file won't reflect the omit of capabities, Do you agree with me?

Can you understand me?
    Last edited by yfw1966; 2008-06-27 at 14:05.

You're right about the limitations of the epocwind.out solution but still you should try to use it as much as possible during your development.

As an additional tool use Carbide's Capability Scanner, it does not provide very precise answers but it does help signaling some possible issues.

The most reliable solution is however to know what you're doing. APIs require capabilities for a reason and for example whenever using RSocket you should expect that NetworkServices is required and you should not fear that it might also require MultimediaDD. So, knowing what the application does and how pretty much creates the list already. If you still have problems then I'm afraid the only solution is to ask around or try to add capabilities and confirm them by try and fail.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Thank you very much, I will try it.

I am surprised why the Symbian Ltd. do not list to reflect the relationship between SDK class and Capabilities. I think it will do help developers a lot.

The documentation does provide information about capabilities but of course there are a lot of gaps in the coverage.

You can also search for a capability and find all the Symbian APIs that require that capability.

To be noted that S60 is also publishing APIs and that the changes S60 makes to the platform may impact the capability requirements even for Symbian APIs.

It is a complicated issue and it is not easy to keep under control when it comes to documentation.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite