Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Problem running built apps in emu

Hi,

recently I had to reinstall Carbide as the old installation always showed an error when I tried to start it.

Since then I have the problem, that I can't run my apps in the emu properly. Building is no problem, but when I try to run them the emu starts in the menu screen and the app doesn't appear in the installations folder.

I tried projects which have been working before and also the built in HelloWorld example but without success.

Anybody any ideas whats causing the trouble?

Simon

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Problem running built apps in emu

If the application does not appear in the emulator it could mean only two things:
    - the application is not supposed to show there (non-GUI exe with no icon)
    - the application failed to build properly

So, analyze the project, analyze the build output in the console and check if the relevant files can be found under the emulator's setup.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Very strange, I created a new basic console application. Built and run it without any errors. While the startup of the emu I caught a climpse of a HelloWorld on the console but right after that the emu showed me the main menu. But the console app was still running, I could switch to it by holding down the menu button.

So for me there a two questions left:
    1. Why does the emu push all the apps I start directly via .exe or from carbide push in the background?
    2. Why are no icons of the apps shown in the installations folder as they really do exist and are working as well.

Simon

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by schnesim View Post
    Very strange, I created a new basic console application. ...
    2. Why are no icons of the apps shown in the installations folder as they really do exist and are working as well.
    Console applications have no icon by default (as end-users are not expected to ever see those applications) so there's no surprise that you are not able to see them.

Have you added an icon yourself? If so you should verify that it is built and that the relevant files are properly placed within the emulator file system.

Quote Originally Posted by schnesim View Post
    Built and run it without any errors. While the startup of the emu I caught a climpse of a HelloWorld on the console but right after that the emu showed me the main menu. But the console app was still running, I could switch to it by holding down the menu button.

So for me there a two questions left:
    1. Why does the emu push all the apps I start directly via .exe or from carbide push in the background?
    It depends on how you configure Carbide to start the debug/run session. There are two options: you ask Carbide to run your application or ask Carbide to run the emulator.

The former is the default behavior and that means that your application is already started by the time the emulator loads the GUI and the GUI takes the screen forcing you to bring the console back from the background.

If you would chose the later option it would be like running the emulator from command prompt and you have to start the app manually, if you can find it. At this time the GUI is properly loaded so the console application will remain in the foreground.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite