Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question About "Unable to Install"!

Hello everybody,

I am in trouble how to install my signed project.
    now I have signed my project successfully, but everywhen I install it more than half in a device, it always pop up the information:'Unable to install' , I test the operation with other GUI projects, they are all been installed successfully. for this, I ever modified the UID2 or UID3. it can not still work normally. My project is not built on the base of GUI, so it's UID2 is 0x0 or random, but I also ever modified it to be 0x100039CE.

The project that works well on emulator can not be installed to the device, why? It has troubled me a few days, expecting your help, thanks first.

Best regards!
    Sophie

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: About "Unable to Install"!

Without seeing the PKG file (and maybe the MMP too) all I can say to you is: look around these forums, others had this problem too and got it fixed.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Thanks for your quick help!

I will continue to search for the information related on the problem. but until now I have not found the true cause.

At the same time, I will check mmp file and pkg file again.
    I think it will be great if I know all possibilities that cause installing failed in half.
    Last edited by yfw1966; 2008-06-30 at 11:00.

Quote Originally Posted by yfw1966 View Post
    I think it will be great if I know all possibilities that cause installing failed in half.
    Indeed. I think that you should extend your search to the wiki too, and at the end you can make sure to update the relevant wiki pages with your findings from this research.

See http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._to_install.22
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Thank you first,

I built a project on base of a empty project with carbide C++1.2 OEM just now. and the same error is shown when installing more than half. then I built a project on base of GUI project still with carbide tools, as result it can be installed successfully. I think there may be something wrong with .PKG file, or others which are related with device.
    It has troubled me a few days, Would you like to help me with it? I will mail the test project to you if you concent. Thanks a lot!

Regards!
    Sophie

Posting the PKG file here could be enough. Otherwise send the project to fn.support@nokia.com and I will try to find time to look at it.
    -- Lucian

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Posting the PKG file here could be enough. Otherwise send the project to fn.support@nokia.com and I will try to find time to look at it.
    I am very sorry. and thanks for your time, I will check it myself again before puting it here.
    Last edited by yfw1966; 2008-07-01 at 09:42.

Nokia Developer Champion

; standard SIS file header
    #{"Troubleshooting"},(0x2001B398),1,0,0

;Localised Vendor name
    %{"Vendor-EN"}

;Unique Vendor name
    :"Vendor"

;Supports Series 60 v 3.0
    [0x101F7961], 0, 0, 0, {"Series60ProductID"}

;Files to install
    ;<source> <destination>
    "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\release\GCCE\UDEB\Troubleshooting.exe" -"!:\sys\bin\Troubleshooting.exe"
    "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\Troubleshooting.rsc" -"!:\resource\apps\Troubleshooting.rsc"
    "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\data\z\private\10003a3f\apps\Troubleshooting_reg.rsc" -"!:\private\10003a3f\import\apps\Troubleshooting_reg.rsc"
    "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\Troubleshooting.mif" -"!:\resource\apps\Troubleshooting.mif"

;required for application to be covered by backup/restore facility
    "..\sis\backup_registration.xml" -"!:\private\A00001EB\backup_registration.xml"
    //
    end pkg file
    So it differs, doesn't it?

Kiran.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Nokia Developer Champion

I am very sorry. and thanks for your time, I will check it myself again before puting it here.
    Hey, why did you edit your post?

Anyways i just picked it up before it. So correct the problem and try to install it again.

Kiran.

Thanks, I have resolved it. but I do not know why.
    I covered the last line in the pkg file:
    ;"..\sis\backup_registration.xml" -"!:\private\0xE0FC6A6C\backup_registration.xml"

Nokia Developer Champion

Thanks, I have resolved it. but I do not know why.
    I covered the last line in the pkg file:
    ;"..\sis\backup_registration.xml" -"!:\private\0xE0FC6A6C\backup_registration.xml"
    Now again a new UID?
    It should be same as the UID3 of your application. You can not put your registration file other than your private directory.

You can try following line and it should work:

Code:
    "..\sis\backup_registration.xml"		-"!:\private\2001B398\backup_registration.xml"
    Kiran.

Hello Kiran,

Thanks again,

I found suddenly the difference between the two UIDs after I put the content of pkg file here. so I deleted it to make further modification, I am sorry for that. then I try covering the last line in another test project which has ever been installed on device successfully. as a result, I found it can work when I cover it. and can not work when I use 0X...(UID3) prefix at the last line.

At last, you tell me the answer, thank you very much.

Best regards!
    Sophie

Quote Originally Posted by kiran10182 View Post

; standard SIS file header
    #{"Troubleshooting"},(0x2001B398),1,0,0

;Localised Vendor name
    %{"Vendor-EN"}

;Unique Vendor name
    :"Vendor"

;Supports Series 60 v 3.0
    [0x101F7961], 0, 0, 0, {"Series60ProductID"}

;Files to install
    ;<source> <destination>
    "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\release\GCCE\UDEB\Troubleshooting.exe" -"!:\sys\bin\Troubleshooting.exe"
    "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\Troubleshooting.rsc" -"!:\resource\apps\Troubleshooting.rsc"
    "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\data\z\private\10003a3f\apps\Troubleshooting_reg.rsc" -"!:\private\10003a3f\import\apps\Troubleshooting_reg.rsc"
    "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\Troubleshooting.mif" -"!:\resource\apps\Troubleshooting.mif"

;required for application to be covered by backup/restore facility
    "..\sis\backup_registration.xml" -"!:\private\A00001EB\backup_registration.xml"
    //
    end pkg file
    So it differs, doesn't it?

Kiran.
    Yes, it differs but not [necesarely] in a bad way.

The package UID (blue) should be uniquely identifying the package but has no other connection with the UIDs of the files included in the package.

The path where backup_registration.xml is written (red) must be however in sync with the installed exe and it must be representing its Secure ID (SID). It is mandatory to check that all files included in the pkg file will be copied to paths that are not breaching the Platform Security data caging.

In conclusion, the path may need to be changed but not as a direct consequence of the mismatch highlight by Kiran.
    -- Lucian

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Yes, it differs but not [necesarely] in a bad way.

The package UID (blue) should be uniquely identifying the package but has no other connection with the UIDs of the files included in the package.

The path where backup_registration.xml is written (red) must be however in sync with the installed exe and it must be representing its Secure ID (SID). It is mandatory to check that all files included in the pkg file will be copied to paths that are not breaching the Platform Security data caging.

In conclusion, the path may need to be changed but not as a direct consequence of the mismatch highlight by Kiran.
    It is general practice to write package UID in relevance to secure id. I do not know how you do but i have found the same in Carbide generated projects as well. So it is better to follow the simple path rather than making it difficult.

Kiran.

Symbian's recomndations about the Package UID (pUID) are not an example of consistance:

Quote Originally Posted by Symbian OS 9.1 PKG format specs
    The UID value specified in an application's (SISAPP) package header must be unique. It uniquely identifies the SIS file, and is never the same as the application's UID.
    Quote Originally Posted by Symbian OS 9.2 & 9.3 PKG format specs
    The UID value specified in an application's (SISAPP) package header (known as the package UID, or pUID) uniquely identifies the package. The installation will fail if another installed package has the same pUID (unless the second package is a patch or an upgrade). The package creator is responsible for ensuring that the pUID is correctly allocated to ensure uniqueness. It can have the same value as the SID of an executable installed by the package.
    Please note the "can", not "should" or "must".

However, even if we take the most relaxed recommendation, the one in the Symbian OS 9.2, one can easily imagine a package with at least two valid private data cages accessed out of which at least one does not match the pUID.

So, pUID may or may not be a reference when analyzing such the content of a PKG, it is definitely more important to have an understanding of what it means to have a data cage and who can write in it.
    -- Lucian