Discussion Board

Super Contributor

do unicode phones also support gsm 03.38?

hi,
    i'm wondering if nokia phones that support unicode UCS-2 also support gsm 03.38. If so, is this always the case?

I'm sending some messages to phones that have unicode (chinese character/arabic) support, but wondering if i can just send gsm 03.38 when all chars can be represented by gsm 03.38.

tia,
    allie

Posted by Alexander Shenkin, ashenkin@quios.net
    on April 12, 2002 at 01:02

Super Contributor

RE: do unicode phones also support gsm 03.38?

Posted by Forum Nokia Developer Support,
    on April 12, 2002 at 09:16

Yes all phones support also gsm 03.38 even if they support unicode.
    BR
    Forum Nokia Developer Support

SMS in a different language

According to GSM 03.38 Specification we can send sms in UCS-2 format. This is used to send SMs in any language .UCS-2 is Universal Character Set which uses 16bit value to represent each character. But the issue is Sinhala Language Characters are not defined in UCS-2 . Sinhala is defined in UCS-4 or after the UCS-2 release which uses 32bit value. Fortunately The byte range used by Sinhala is in the 16bit range (0D80–0DFF) . Because of this still there is a possibility to send Sinhala Characters in a Short Message. But I need to get this clarified. I have already sent an e-mail to Nokia and have submitted my question to the Nokia Forum as well. But still didn't get any reply.

I also want to know information on how to install or Upgrade the Language Pack with Sinhala Character Set.

Re: SMS in a different language

Hi there!

I Also need some info about creating a language pack.

The pack (sinhala) currently used is confusing, with some help i can create a better one