Discussion Board

Speeding up 1000% emulator startup

Hi,

I have a million dollar tip to anyone who uses the emulator.. (no kidding)

After re-installing the SDK (S60 3rd Ed FP1) today, I found out that my emulator starts up very slow again (1 minute ++ or so, for each session)...

I did remember there's a patch out there that completely cuts the startup splash screen, and goes straight up to the Application menu.

However spending half the day searching for it revealed nothing... ... it vanished from the internet. Luckily, I backed up my c:\symbian directory, and after wasting a few hours on searching for a file I didn't remember it's name, I found what I was looking for (tap my shoulder, right there!!)

Now, because there ain't no file attachments in this forum I am going to post this message with the file (Startup.rsc god bless his soul!!) in
    https://developer.symbian.com/forum/...threadID=26094

I HERBY TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR USING IT. DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

However it did worked great for me,

To "Install":
    1. Do a search on your epoc32 directory and search for "Startup.rsc"
    2. open the containing folder
    3. BACKUP THE CURRENT FILE
    4. replace with the one I provide (I will also upload it to https://developer.symbian.com/forum/...threadID=26094)

Again, I didn't create the file, I got it from someone who got it from someone ... :):) if you don't like it, DON'T USE IT. I downloaded it some long time ago from one of the forums.

I can only say that on my computer it reduced the emulator startup time from 1 minute and a half, to something like 10 seconds (...)

have fun

Regular Contributor

Re: Speeding up 1000% emulator startup

This kind of tip is very useful... but I'm reluctant to use this .rsc file on different SDK versions.

How can we get a more elaborate answer on this topic... it would be really, really neat for someone from Symbian or S60 to give an official "how to speed up emulator start up" for each SDK version.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Please note that the S60 3rd Edition FP2 SDK's emulator has this feature built-in, and the SDK release v1.1 has a document that explains what exactly is the difference between the two starting modes. Also, the emulator has an indicator showing IIRC "P" for partial startup mode and "F" for full startup mode, just so you know that if something goes wrong with your application it could be because th emulator was started in the partial mode.

As for the previous SDKs a patch is unlikely however one can experiment with the resource file as I do not expect any hidden side effects. The emulator will either start with fewer servers running or will fail to start at all. If it does not start, simply restore the original resource file.

Regular Contributor

Cool, thanks for the tip, Itomuta... anyone know where this document is?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Start the emulator, then look under the emulator window's Help menu.