Discussion Board

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

Re: Auto Startup Application Signing!

Dear all ,

I wanna thank you so much for your help,
    Actually the problem is still there, no startup for the application, really i dont know what to do?,

Why things happened to me like this ,, even the simplest issues become very hard! really i have no idea.

Thank you again kiran, wizard and itumota ,, really you are the best and i will never forgot your help

Regards,
    Leonard

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: Auto Startup Application Signing!

Quote Originally Posted by amerzannouneh View Post
    Dear all ,

I wanna thank you so much for your help,
    Actually the problem is still there, no startup for the application, really i dont know what to do?,

Why things happened to me like this ,, even the simplest issues become very hard! really i have no idea.
    Why are you giving up? It should work. Sometimes i think that why it works for me. I am not able to re-produce your situation otherwise i might have tried to solve it. Anyways i am creating one application and will see if there is any problem.

Meanwhile you also try at your end to find out the problem.

Kiran.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Regular Contributor

Dear Kiran,

I wanna thank you for your concerning and giving me a push up to complete this problem ,

Actually i think the problem is with the EXE file, anyways i searched my project folders and found that there is a three EXE files with a different sizes : 1.4 MB, 576 KB and 14.3 KB, is this have any related to my problem.

Note: in my application the rss file has a path for the 1.4 MB EXE file.

Regards,
    Leonard

Nokia Developer Moderator

The .exe you need is the one in epoc32\release\gcce\urel (most probably. if you find .exe-s in epoc32\release\gcce\udeb, or udeb/urel of epoc32\release\armv5, they are fine too).
    The .exe you can find in epoc32\BUILD\<somewhere deep> does not run anywhere, that is an intermediate file.
    The .exe you can find in epoc32\release\winscw\udeb is for the emulator, you would have an installer error if you would experiment with this one.

Have you seen the parallel running thread of very similar topic in the General Symbian C++ section: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=136528 ? You may benefit from reading how other people fight with the problem.

Nokia Developer Champion

And again it worked like a charm for me.

Following are the steps which i performed:

1) Created HelloWorld GUI application from Carbide.c++
    2) Didn't change UID3 of application. It was: 0xEB4FFC64
    3) Built application for WINSCW
    4) Built application for GCCE
    5) Requested Protected UID3 from SymbianSigned. i.e: 0x2001B8F7
    6) Opened each and every file in my project directory and changed EB4FFC64 with 2001B8F7.
    7) Opened Wiki article: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...Management_API
    8) Created 2001B8F7.rss file under "data" folder of my application.
    9) Opened that file and filled it with:
    Code:
    #include <startupitem.rh>

RESOURCE STARTUP_ITEM_INFO startexe
        {
        executable_name = "c:\\sys\\bin\\StartupTest_0x2001B8F7.exe";
        recovery = EStartupItemExPolicyNone;
        }
    10) Opened .mmp file and added following lines:
    Code:
    START RESOURCE ..\DATA\2001B8F7.rss
    END
    11) Opened .pkg file and added following line:
    Code:
    "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\data\2001B8F7.rsc"-"c:\private\101f875a\import\[2001B8F7].rsc"
    12) That's it for finding/adding/replacing.
    13) Cleaned the project.
    14) Built it for WINSCW again.
    15) Cleaned for GCCE
    16) Built it for GCCE again.
    17) I got my resultant .sisx file, however it is self-signed by default by Carbide.c++. I just deleted that .sisx file. (Not .sis file)
    18) Then i used my developer certificate to sign my .sis file.
    19) Installed it on mobile. No any problem with icon.
    20) It opened nicely as it should.
    21) I restarted my phone and i could see my application autostarted successfully.

PS: It took 20 minutes for putting these steps in the practical and 20 minutes to write down here.

Kiran.

Regular Contributor

Dear Kiran,

Thank you very much for your project and reply,
    actually i did all the steps for making my project like what you did, but still the same .

but please there is a question regarding this, do you remember the rss file for the auto startup (06000001.rss), when i create my project and add the auto startup feature to the project, i did not found the file path for the executable file (in rss file "c:\\sys\\bin\\my_app_name.exe" , i only found the "c:\\sys" , so i create a new folder and naming it (bin) then copy the exe file for my application from "Epoc32\release\gcce\urel" and build the project,, is that the reason for not autostart the application.

Please help, please help

Regards,
    Leonard

Regular Contributor

Hello guys,

It is working now , unbelievable,WOOOOOOOOOOW, thank you so much Kiran, itumota, and wizard ,, i love you all , Really i will never forgot your help

The Problem that: i was installing the on d drive, but in the rss file is located in the c drive , i install the application on the same drive specified in the rss file (c drive) and restart the mobile and then my application run at the startup

Love you all,
    Leonard

Great. Now try the "!:" trick in the resource and it would not matter where you install the app.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Great. Now try the "!:" trick in the resource and it would not matter where you install the app.
    Yes, you are right. I have just decided to test things for myself because some questions have not been answered, and here are my findings:

#1: I remembered, but did not dare to mention until re-testing that "The installation package containing the application must be trusted, i.e. it must be signed with a valid certificate." sentence in the SDK Help is true. The UID does not matter, at least auto-starting 0xExxxxxxx executable works for me with a DevCert

#2: !:\ also works

So the minimal requirements appear to be
    pkguid.rss
    Code:
    RESOURCE STARTUP_ITEM_INFO
    {
    	executable_name = "!:\\sys\\bin\\xy.exe";
    }
    xy.mmp
    Code:
    START RESOURCE    pkguid.rss
    END
    xy.pkg
    Code:
    "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR\Epoc32\Data\pkguid.rsc"-"c:\private\101f875a\import\[pkguid].rsc"
    Signed with something else than self-signing.

Tested on:
    - N80 3.0617.0.6
    - N81 10.0.058
    - E90 07.40.1.2
    - N91 2.10.013
    - N93 10.0.025

Of course it might not work on other devices...

Regular Contributor

Hello itomuta,

Actually using the !: trick is not working with my mobile phone (N73), but testing it with E61, it is working fine, but why?
    Regards,
    Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Code:
    RESOURCE STARTUP_ITEM_INFO
    {
    	executable_name = "!:\\sys\\bin\\xy.exe";
    }
    It's funny, as I remember the documentation insisting that the recovery enumeration as a mandatory field. Well, it probably defaults to EStartupItemExPolicyNone anyway (too lazy to check .

Thanks for the confirmations wizard_hu_

amerzannouneh,
    it could be that there is a bug on the firmware, that of course unless your application has a little bug that manifests itself on that particular device only. If you do not have the latest firmware on the device you can try to upgrade it, otherwise try to see if others have reported problems with the same device/build.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Nokia Developer Champion

Yesterday night when i went to bed, i thought i should have tried !: but i left it for today.

And i found the same behavior what Wizard found.

- I just started with !: with Protected UID(e.g: 0x2001B8F7) and it worked. ( Both on Phone memory and MMC)
    - Then i changed UID to unprotected range(e.g: 0xEB4FFC64) and it worked.( Both on Phone memory and MMC)

One thing i would really like to suggest Carbide team that there should be global replace function included in the next version.

PS1: Tested on N95 8GB V 10.0.021

PS2: I thought to test this on all the devices available on RDA but it was a thought only.

Kiran.

Quote Originally Posted by kiran10182 View Post
    One thing i would really like to suggest Carbide team that there should be global replace function included in the next version.
    Available already. Go to the Search menu, click on Search..., then type the word to search for (like the UID3 without 0x), click on Replace.... At this time a search is performed and if at leas one occurrence is found you will be prompted to give the replacement string. That's it.

Safe and easy.
    Last edited by ltomuta; 2008-07-09 at 17:50. Reason: Typo
    -- Lucian

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Available already. Go to the Search menu, click on Search..., then type the word to search for (like the UID3 without 0x), click on Replace.... At this time a search is performed and if at leas one occurrence is found you will be prompted to give the replacement string. That's it.

Save and easy.
    Oh my goodness! I should have really given it a moment to look carefully.

I could have saved 10 minutes from whole 20 minutes or more than that...

Kiran.

Regular Contributor

Hi, I have a more complex need.
    Symbian signed criteria require that a user be given control over startup - e.g. Autostart yes/no
    does anyone know if there is a way to temporarily disable startup registered through the startuplist API ? of course I can save the fact that autostart is disabled somewhere and have the process kill itself as soon as it is launched, but I am looking for the more elegant solution.