Discussion Board

Image overlay Camera Canvas

Hi all!

I have the camera viewfinder displaying on a canvas. I would like to overlay a png image on top of this. I have had a look at the overlay control (JSR 234) but am a little confused if that is appropriate. I think that may be for post processing overlay only. Again I am unsure. If it is for overlaying on top of the camera stream then I am also unsure how to use it. There seem to be no examples available and try as I might I can't get it to work.

If there is any other method or tips available they would be very much appreciated.

I have tried the sony method below but that doesn't work on the Nokia's I am targeting.

videoControl.initDisplayMode(VideoControl.USE_DIRECT_VIDEO | (overlay << 8) | (Sprite.TRANS_ROT90 << 4), canvas);

The other method that is mentioned on the web is to take continous snapshots and add the image overlay to the snapshot image and then display this to the user, the problems with this method are
    1) Slow
    2) Each snapshot causes a security pop up.

By the way all the Nokia's I am targetting are S60 FP 2 e.g. 6220 Classic so they have all high end spec JSR's such as JSR 234

Thanks

Jonah Khan

Super Contributor

Re: Image overlay Camera Canvas

Sorry to disappoint you, but the AMMS implementation on S60 3rd Edition FP2 devices does not include Overlay control
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/document/...4FB5D741B.html

The snapshot method is the only one I could suggest you to use. Note also that the confirmation dialogs do not popup every time if you manually change the multimedia settings after installation
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...2C_S60_3rd_FP1
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...on_real_phones

Hartti

Hi,
    Just a little suggestion: your device is a S60 so a symbian OS, why don't you creat a native application which is much more possbile to realize an overlay? I think the problem that overlay is not supported only exists on devices with Nokia OS.

Hi Hartti,

It is quite sad to see Nokia is laging too much compared to SonyEriccson. JP8 platform of SE does support much more better AMMS. W910I has support for camera and tuner too.

Is there a way to let Nokia march forward on this.. over 21 billion photos are taken every year and lack of such advanced camera functionality though JavaME would be huge competitive loss to Java Community (specially due to huge market share of Nokia Phones).

Regards,
    Raja Nagendra Kumar,
    C.T.O
    www.tejasoft.com
    - Experience Intellect

experts, is overlay supported on s60 5th edition devices (S60 touch)?

Please don't tell me that the camera app on S60 touch device does the overlay frame by frame.

Regular Contributor

I was hoping to overlay 3d (jsr184) graphics over a live viewfinder image. Based on this it looks like that's very impossible - I would appreciate if someone could just confirm this so I know to stop looking.

Super Contributor

casual_kumar, the camera app on the S60 phones is a native Symbian C++ application, however Java ME on S60 5th edition still does not have Camera Controls

Hartti

Hi all,
    As I see this thread has not been updated for a whole year, I'm wondering if any progress has been made. I've tried the snapshot method on a N97 but as it takes a full image and then down sample so I'm only get about .3 frames a second. I am thinking you could make a video stream and then take segments out of that to use as a image but this options requires alot of work and delving into byte code.

So bar going native (which isn't really an option as I'm trying to make a Java midlet framework) is there a way of putting on overlay or best if you can draw on a canvas on top of a video stream?

Abey

Super Contributor

This is the latest S60 Java ME version
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._Release_notes
    It does not include camera controls so that is a no-go and other workarounds (except the one you described) do not exist.

Hartti