Discussion Board

Best IDE and langauge for N95 and webservices

Hi guys!

I have today just acquired the N95 8GB.

I am in a position where applications that run on webservices are to be ported to the Symbian system on the N95.

So, the questions are:

Which IDE is best? Can I use Visual Studio.Net 2008?

Can I use C#? If not, which langauge is then the best choice???

It is important to be able to support webservices.

Thanks!

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Best IDE and langauge for N95 and webservices

hi keb
    first of all welcome to the forum nokia community.
    now as far as your question is there why dont you post your problem or question at the browser section of the discussion board.
    hope you will find a solution there.

Nokia Developer Moderator

The native language is Symbian C++. Tools and SDK are available for download for free, including SDK integration. Other runtimes include: OpenC/C++ (Posix ,STL, Boost), Java, Python, Flash, web runtime widgets ...

If you are familiar with .Net do have a look at the upcoming webinar on Windows Mobile .NET on S60/Symbian or browse Red Five Labs' web site for more info.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Hi guys!.

Thank you for replying. I posted here, as I was not sure where to post, as I see my question as a general getting-started question. :-)

I am in the situation where I need to develope mobile applications (not web) which depend on getting data from running webservices.

My background is Java and I had introduction to C# and .NET - but only on desktop application level.

In fact I need to port an existing Windows Mobile application to Symbian running on the N95.

That is why I am looking for an IDE which has a simulator mode, where I can test the application.

Thanks.

Nokia Developer Moderator

S60 has a Web Services framework (Symbian C++) and I believe that Java has something similar too (not sure though).

If you go through the second link in my signature, you'll see about selecting the proper SDK. The SDK will then bring you the emulator and build tools (well, some of them

Once you have the SDK then you can think about selecting the IDE (Visual Studio is supported but not necessarily the best option).
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Super Contributor

Just quick addition to ltomuta's answer.

Yes there is Web Services API in Java ME, and that is available on N95.

Hartti