Discussion Board

Carbide versus Carbide Visual Studio

Hola Folks,

OK. I bought an E90 which uses the S60 OS. I intend to install either Carbide or Carbide VS. I have used Carbide for S80 development and the experience was less than optimal.

I would like opinions regarding the use of Carbide VS and Carbide. Since my experiences with Carbide have been unpleasant, I am leaning towards Carbide VS simply because it is smaller.

Also, I would like to know what issues people have had with each.

Thank You

-V-
    I Never *Try* Anything.

I Just Do It.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Carbide versus Carbide Visual Studio

You should only consider using Carbide.vs if you are already familiar with Microsoft Visual Studio (and you actually have it - the free version of VS does not support extensions, including Carbide.vs).
    Carbide.c++ is the main tool, and Carbide.vs is the alternative offer, always a few steps behind in features.

And have you counted the size of VS itself when comparing the sizes? ;-)

Nokia Developer Moderator

There are features that Carbide.vs does not support, but is also true that those more relevant, like the UI Designer and the On Device Debugger tool are only available for paid versions of Carbide.c++

If your experience with Carbide.c++ is not recent you may want to try the latest versions before making a decision.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by VirGin View Post

I would like opinions regarding the use of Carbide VS and Carbide. Since my experiences with Carbide have been unpleasant, I am leaning towards Carbide VS simply because it is smaller.
    Carbide.vs is only a Plugin to VS2005 but carbide.c++ is total IDE.
    So in my experience

VS2005 + Carbide.vs = Carbide.C++ Express.

any other edition of Carbide.C++ better then (VS2005 + Carbide.vs) combo.

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: Carbide versus Carbide Visual Studio

Hola Folks,
    I have used Carbide for S80 development and the experience was less than optimal.
    I don't know which version of Carbide.c++ you have worked with but i would suggest you to download Carbide.c++ 1.3 and give it a try. I hope you would like it.

In my personal experience I have used both of them and i like Carbide.c++ IDE more than Carbide.Vs + Visual Studio.

Kiran.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Hola Folks,

I went ahead and installed CarbideVS. I figured the best way for me to determine which I prefer was to use the one I hadn't used before, which is VS.

Aside from some installation issues (which are ... irritating), I haven't had any major issues.

Minor issues so far:
    - Help Documentation Wording. Some of it isn't quite right.
    - Help Documentation Accuracy. Some of the descriptions in the documentation do not match what I am seeing on screen.
    - Hello World Sample. Triggers a breakpoint somewhere when debugging. Doesn't work in emulator. Will have to check my settings.
    - Java Emulator. My backup laptop which I'm using while my primary laptop is being repaired is older. 1.6Ghz. The emulator is sluggish.

Pluses:
    + VS Integration. So far, Symbian items are where I would expect them to be. No surprises so far.
    + Emulator Invocation. Emulator started without fuss.
    + Build Pipeline. The two samples were built without problems and without me having to deal with nit-noid configuration issues.
    + Help Integration. The help system integrates smoothly with VS Help system (Document Explorer based).

One of the replies mentioned extra features with the paid version of Carbide++. I already have an IDE that cost me more money than I wanted to pay. I don't need another.

-V-
    I Never *Try* Anything.

I Just Do It.

Super Contributor

Minor issues so far:
    - Help Documentation Wording. Some of it isn't quite right.
    - Help Documentation Accuracy. Some of the descriptions in the documentation do not match what I am seeing on screen.
    Hi VitGin,
    can you point out documentation errors here so that carbide.vs development will fix them in its next release.

- Hello World Sample. Triggers a breakpoint somewhere when debugging. Doesn't work in emulator. Will have to check my settings.
    Never happed to me .

- Java Emulator. My backup laptop which I'm using while my primary laptop is being repaired is older. 1.6Ghz. The emulator is sluggish.
    yes it is problem with the emulator carbide.vs is nothing to do with it. try verifying the speed by trying epoc in command line.