Discussion Board

SIS file installation with FR, RI ends up with "Unable to install"

Hi,

I've been crawling around for the forums about installing a SIS with an EXE marked with FR and RI flags. I have a developer certificate and the file installs OK without the FR, RI-flags. Also I've modified the EXE that is supposed to run so it just returns 0 on E32Main(), so it should not panic or leave.

I've double, triple and quadruple-checked the UID:s in the MMP-file that generates the exe and have granted the ProtServ-capability to it (I did not really know if this is necessary or not). The UID is from the protected area and aquired from symbian signed (0x2001yyyy). The installation package file type is SISAPP and contains three files. Two exes and one dll. The file to be run on install is on the last line of the PKG-file.

The http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._to_install.22
    says that the reasons for the error message could also be EPOCHEAPSIZE or the file already residing on ROM. These are not the cases for me, either.

Hope someone has some ideas, this really has been very a frustrating experience.

Thank you very much in advance,
    :)Mikko

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: SIS file installation with FR, RI ends up with "Unable to install"

Quote Originally Posted by maharj View Post
    Hi,

I've been crawling around for the forums about installing a SIS with an EXE marked with FR and RI flags. I have a developer certificate and the file installs OK without the FR, RI-flags. Also I've modified the EXE that is supposed to run so it just returns 0 on E32Main(), so it should not panic or leave.
    Why? How?

I've double, triple and quadruple-checked the UID:s in the MMP-file that generates the exe and have granted the ProtServ-capability to it (I did not really know if this is necessary or not).
    If you do not know WHY a capability is needed then do not add it.

The UID is from the protected area and aquired from symbian signed (0x2001yyyy). The installation package file type is SISAPP and contains three files. Two exes and one dll. The file to be run on install is on the last line of the PKG-file.

The http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._to_install.22
    says that the reasons for the error message could also be EPOCHEAPSIZE or the file already residing on ROM. These are not the cases for me, either.

Hope someone has some ideas, this really has been very a frustrating experience.

Thank you very much in advance,
    How about posting the MMP file headers and the PKG file?
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Hi.

Yes, I know I don't want to add any extra capabilities, but some of the replies to the posters' having same problems insisted that the capability is required. I did, however remove it when it did not produce the wanted effect. I wanted to say this so it would not be suggested.

The PKG-file
    Code:
    &EN

#{"My Great Product"},(0x2001B80B),0,1,1,TYPE=SISAPP

;Localised Vendor name
    %{"My Great Company Ltd"}

;Unique Vendor name
    :"My Great Company"

;Supports Series 60 v 3.0
    [0x101F7961], 0, 0, 0, {"Series60ProductID"}

"\EPOC32\RELEASE\GCCE\UREL\MyGreatProductService.exe"-"!:\sys\bin\MyGreatProductService.exe"
    "\EPOC32\RELEASE\GCCE\UREL\MyGreatProductService.dll"-"!:\sys\bin\MyGreatProductService.dll"
    "\EPOC32\RELEASE\GCCE\UREL\MyGreatProductServer.exe"-"!:\sys\bin\MyGreatProductServer.exe", FR, RI

; Add as startup item
    "\EPOC32\DATA\Z\resource\apps\2001B80B.rsc"-"c:\private\101f875a\import\[2001B80B].rsc"
    And the MMP for the file to be run
    Code:
    #include "MyGreatProductUid.h"

TARGETPATH	    \sys\bin
    TARGET          MyGreatProductServer.exe
    TARGETTYPE		  exe
    CAPABILITY		  MyGreatProduct_SERVER_CAPS
    EPOCSTACKSIZE 	0x5000

UID 0x0 KMyGreatProductServerUid

SYSTEMINCLUDE \epoc32\include
    USERINCLUDE ..\WhoppingService\inc
    USERINCLUDE ..\MyGreatProductService\Interface\Inc
    USERINCLUDE .\

LIBRARY euser.lib
    LIBRARY flogger.lib
    LIBRARY bafl.lib
    LIBRARY efsrv.lib
    LIBRARY esock.lib
    LIBRARY insock.lib
    LIBRARY estor.lib
    LIBRARY MyGreatProductService.lib

START RESOURCE ..\Hostlet\rss\2001B80B.rss
    	TARGET 2001B80B.rsc
    	TARGETPATH \resource\apps
    END

SOURCEPATH ..\Hostlet\src
    SOURCE Main.cpp WhizzingServer.cpp AmazingArray.cpp PerfectObject.cpp MyGreatProductServer.cpp
    Thanks,

Argh, problem solved.

The exe file was linking to a DLL that I had accidentally edited a capability away that it required. Hence executing the file failed, not because of the contents (that i verified by editing the file to just returning 0 from main, doing absolutely nothing). Sometimes the most simple answer is the most probable one.

Thank you anyway for support!