Discussion Board

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

Step 7 of SymbianSigned test UNI-09

Hi All,
    Step 7 of Symbian signed states that
    After installation to the removable memory card, take another compliant clean phone or format the phone you have, and insert the memory card into the new/formatted phone.
    RESULT: The application should install automatically to the new/formatted phone or if the application is copy protected it provides suitable message to user indicating why it will not install.
    RESULT: The application should run correctly from the inserted memory card.
    The statement of my small query is as follows:
    In My Application all Bitmaps, mbms ors rsc files are copied to storage card if the app is installed in storage card else copied to phone memory C: if installed there. but my application is not meeting the above criteria. i am using a self signed build as of now
    This is my problem : when i remove the memory card the app is not listed on the phone but when i put the memory card in a new phone it is not automatically installed. however it is present in app manager's list.
    have any of you guys dealt with this problem before? is this because my app is self signed,should i use a developer signed or ACS Signed App to pass this test??
    Regards
    Shashi Kiran G M

Re: Step 7 of SymbianSigned test UNI-09

Hi Shashi,

It should not be due to signing. Try installing in the memory card of a clean phone, Make sure you are not installing it to the Phone memory.

If the problem still persists just post your .pkg file details here. So someone might help you.

Regular Contributor

I am installing to the Storage card. Here is my pkg file:

; Installation file for AppXFactor application

;Languages
    &EN

;UID is the app's UID
    #{"App XFactor"},(0xA00047A7),1,24,11749

;Localised Vendor name
    %{"On the Go"}

;Unique Vendor name
    :"SNAP"

;Supports S60 v 3.0
    [0x101F7961], 0, 0, 0, {"Series60ProductID"}

; Files To Install

"$(EPOCROOT)Epoc32\release\$(PLATFORM)\$(TARGET)\AppXFactor.exe" -"!:\sys\bin\AppXFactor.exe"
    "$(EPOCROOT)Epoc32\Data\z\resource\apps\AppXFactor.rsc" -"!:\resource\apps\AppXFactor.rsc"
    "$(EPOCROOT)Epoc32\Data\z\resource\apps\AppXFactor_caption.rsc" -"!:\resource\apps\AppXFactor_caption.rsc"
    "$(EPOCROOT)epoc32\data\z\private\10003a3f\import\apps\AppXFactor_reg.rsc" -"!:\private\10003a3f\import\apps\AppXFactor_reg.rsc"

"$(EPOCROOT)Epoc32\Data\z\resource\apps\AppXFactorIconMBM.mif" -"!:\resource\apps\AppXFactorIconMBM.mif"

"$(EPOCROOT)Epoc32\release\$(PLATFORM)\$(TARGET)\XEngine.dll" -"!:\sys\bin\XEnginedll"

"$(EPOCROOT)Epoc32\release\$(PLATFORM)\$(TARGET)\XPlugin.dll" -"!:\sys\bin\XPlugin.dll"

"$(EPOCROOT)epoc32\data\z\resource\plugins\XPlugin.rsc" -"!:\resource\plugins\XPlugin.rsc"

"$(EPOCROOT)epoc32\winscw\c\resource\Apps\AppXBitmap.mbm" -"!:\resource\apps\AppXBitmap.mbm"

"..\sis\XPlugin.info" -"!:\private\A00047A7\AppXFactor.info"

Last edited by gmsk19; 2008-07-08 at 07:49.
    Regards
    Shashi Kiran G M

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by gmsk19 View Post
    I am installing to the phone memory. Here is my pkg file:
    I am not sure if I understood your query correctly, but the criterion that you have mentioned
    After installation to the removable memory card, take another compliant clean phone or format the phone you have, and insert the memory card into the new/formatted phone.
    If you install it to your phone, there is no question of the memory card coming into play. This test has to pass if and when installed to memory card.

Regular Contributor

Sorry i had mentioned it wrong . i am installing it to a storage card, not to phone memory as stated earlier. it was mistake. i typed it in a hurried manner.
    Regards
    Shashi Kiran G M

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: Step 7 of SymbianSigned test UNI-09

Install your application on memory card, but it should be installation independent stated in the .pkg file. For e.g:
    "C:\abc.txt"-"!:\abc.txt"
    Now do not open your application. Just let the application icon be there. Take out the memory card from this phone. Now take another formatted(fresh) phone and inset this memory card in that phone. Now if you open your application in this newer phone, it should work without any problem.

Kiran.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi,

this is not a problem with self-signed application. I have some self-signed applications which meet the above criteria, and from your package file, it looks like it should work.

do one thing, to confirm, install it in mem-card, remove mem-card, format the test phone (*#7370#) and passwd: 12345 (default)...

once done, insert the mem-card and check if it solves the problem !
    Amit Kankani
    Nokia Developer Champion

Regular Contributor

Hi Amit, i had done the same before posting the query here,but did not seem to work. anyways ill try this once again and get back to this post
    Regards
    Shashi Kiran G M

Regular Contributor

Kiran, please do not mind i do know the steps for this test case . i had done the same prior to posting this query, the problem is that the app is not confirming to the expected behaviour. Do you see any other problems that might occur??
    Regards
    Shashi Kiran G M

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by gmsk19 View Post
    Kiran, please do not mind i do know the steps for this test case . i had done the same prior to posting this query, the problem is that the app is not confirming to the expected behaviour. Do you see any other problems that might occur??
    Hi Shashi Kiran,

I followed the same steps which i have suggested you. I do not think Self-signing or developer signing may affect the scenario. It should behave same for both cases.
    Actual thing is that when you install it on Memory card, there is one state which has been stamped. So you should not modify anything on memory card once you have installed your application on it. (Even do not open that application)
    So when you insert that card in another device, integrity has been verified, and if it fails then it will report you a problem.
    Do the following steps again:
    1) Make sure that you have NOT hardcoded file paths in your .pkg file.
    1) Format your device A and Memory card A.
    2) Install your application on Memory card A.
    3) Do not open the application.
    4) Remove Memory card A from device A.
    5) Take another new phone device B.
    6) Format device B.
    7) Insert Memory card A into device B.
    8) And it should work fine.

Kiran.

Nokia Developer Moderator

And as far as I understand, it should work fine even if step 3 mentioned by kiran is not followed rigidly

Regular Contributor

ok cool!!! thanks a lot kiran, ill follow the following steps as you have said and see if it works. Actually i had opened the Application and used many a times before removing the memory card. also did not format Phone A, i had formatted phone B.
    One last query are these the conditions that will be applied to the the original test i mean not using the application and conducting the test
    Regards
    Shashi Kiran G M

Regular Contributor

hmm ok... ill format both phones and conduct the test.. lets c hopefully it should work this time around.
    Regards
    Shashi Kiran G M

Nokia Developer Champion

but i have applications, which even if opened (and with some files in the private directory changed during app running), and then performing the steps work...

more over, the signing requirements do not mention that the application should not be opened !
    Amit Kankani
    Nokia Developer Champion

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Symbian_Neil View Post
    And as far as I understand, it should work fine even if step 3 mentioned by kiran is not followed rigidly
    Quote Originally Posted by amitkankani View Post
    but i have applications, which even if opened (and with some files in the private directory changed during app running), and then performing the steps work...

more over, the signing requirements do not mention that the application should not be opened !
    Here i wanted to be on safe side. Assume that you are opening your application and modifying any file which are there in your .pkg file. In this case it won't work. Try it out.

Kiran.