Discussion Board

S60 / J2ME hybrid app

Hey

I’m looking for some insight on the following process. I want to encapsulate and run a J2ME app from a Symbian S60 app. I have a J2ME client that needs S60 os functionality and I would therefore like to include both elements in a single S60 app sis to ease the process of installation. I’m looking for a solution for both S60 2nd & 3rd edition.

I have not done Symbian development for some time now and have therefore not kept up to date with the technological advances. I therefore hope that somebody in here can spare a minute or two to enlighten me.

As far as I can see, two major problems (amongst many others) arise doing a S60/J2ME hybrid. First there a problem regarding how to verify the S60 app if many different variants of J2ME client is to be encapsulated resulting in many different variants of the hybrid app. Second there is the issue of running/starting the J2ME app when the S60 is invoked.

I have been told that the above outline process is possible on the S60 2nd ed. According to a college of mine the process is described in http://www.amazon.com/Developing-Jin.../dp/0201702444. Does anybody know any online references regarding a S60 2nd ed solution? Or can anybody shed some light on the subject as to if and how it is possible?

And what of the S60 3rd ed platform. Has the technical advances made it easier to create the hybrid app I need? Again online references are very welcome and any words of wisdom likewise.

Hope somebody can help me out.

Best rgds,
    Abp_dk

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: S60 / J2ME hybrid app

The term of hybrid application might be misleading as it might suggest some kind of weird binary that mixes in one unit Java and native code.

What you can do is a native server application, that receives requests from the local Java client and executes them before returning the result through a socket connection.

Once this clarified you can pretty much ignore the hybrid aspect and focus on developing two different applications, on two different runtimes, making sure that they speak to each other using the same language.

All the rest can be solved, including deployment and start-up issues.

Also look for existing solutions, like maybe KuneriLite and re-use (or at lest learn from) them.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Thanks for your answer ltomuta.

You might be right about the post name. It was just what came to mind when I wrote the post.

I'm in no way in doubt as to how the native S60 app and the J2ME app is to communicate. The interface for that is settled already and being testing at prototype level as I write this.

I was looking for some insight on the deployment and startup only. Since you have just told me that this is in fact possible, that more or less settles what I wanted to know.

You didn't have any references as to how to do the deployment and startup?

Thanks again.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Startup on 3rd edition: TSS000465 - Launching MIDlets programmatically on S60 3rd Edition. Similar for S60 2nd Edition although I cannot point you to an article as of now. Have a look in the wiki and of course in these forums, it must have been discussed a lot at the time the S60 2nd Edition was the hot topic of the day.

Deployment - through SIS files. The pkg script allows you skip a module's install if a newer version of itself exists on the device already.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite