Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question NOKIA MUST KILL IPHONE, BEFORE IPHONE KILLS NOKIA

Today it was the iPhone 3G launchment in 22 years around the globe. Almost every newspapers had a note or even entire pages talking about this... phone. Is it the iPhone the Nokia's funeral, on smartphones devices?

We didn't see another crazy mega-succesful phone since the launchment of the Motorola RAZR V3, 4 years ago. Motorola V3 has become the most selling mobile phone in history. Now V3 is dead.
    It is dead because Motorola didn't launch anything better and more inovating, next to V3. So the question is: is iPhone about to stay in our lives since now and other companies will loose costumers because of this Apple's mega success, or is it just must-have item for now?
    The difference is that Razr V3 had a poor software and it was the most successful phone because of it's design, but iPhone has become a mega hit not just because it's uncommon design, but yes for it's inovating software. An inovating software that Nokia and other companies don't have.
    iPhone is for sure the most carismatic phone ever made. The question is: iPhone success will last forever, or it will have the same destiny than V3? Maybe yes, maybe not.
    Maybe yes if Apple does not create more inovating devices like this one, in the next times, but maybe not because Mac is selling more and more every year, maybe yes because despite there are hundreds of mp3 player's by Sony, Creative, Nokia and Sony Ericsson's mobile devices with powerful mp3 players, and many other companies, despite all this, iPod is still a mega hit, a must-have for every music lovers, because it is made by Apple, because it has an original and even so simple design, because... what more? It's Apple. Who has an iPhone, can easier buy mps songs on iTunes and play them easier on their Mac as well. It means that Apple is earning money through 3 products, one takes to the other.

The point is: Is Nokia and other companies doing well their homework, when a single device like this one is going into our lives around the globe in a massive way like iPhone's doing?
    Nokia has become famous because of it's original devices design, that no other company would imagine that it could be possible to be made, and the some about the software. But since some years ago, we don't see any must-have Nokia device anymore, in what concerns about the design and software. Almost everything you get on a Nokia device, the other companies have it too, since the same level of design and software. Nokia is failing on US market since ever, maybe the very best market in the world they could have.

Nokia is probably being successful in it's lovely China and India, but be careful, iPhone and other mobile companies are not in coma at all, and they will fight for those markets too, and it will become quite embaressing for Nokia, as a company as it is, to go #2 in Europe and maybe other places like latin America, for consumers wonder. Maybe you should start hiring again the same industrial designers and developpers who have created N-Gage, 7610, the Fashion Collection 3 years ago, 3650, and many other weird and wonderful and respected and successful devices that Nokia made before. Maybe a lot of Nokia developpers, as they are, they obviously prefer Nokia's software, but the other hundreds of millions of mobile consumers may not care about that when they have the best design and inovating software on a device like iPhone, for example. As the subject title sugests, Nokia must kill iPhone, before iPhone kills Nokia.

(PS: I have posted the same article for mistake through my old user account "chaplinwearsnokia", so ignore it and consider just this one).
    Last edited by 卡洛斯CHAPLIN; 2008-07-12 at 03:53. Reason: What a stupid question omg

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: NOKIA MUST KILL IPHONE, BEFORE IPHONE KILLS NOKIA

Hi chaplin
    thanks for letting us know that.
    But this is a blogging stuff and this the forum reserved only for developers so it will be good if you blog it somewhere.
    thanks.

I have posted it here because I thaught this was for general discussion. Developer Discussion Boards Feedback to Nokia, Open Discussion, Jobs and News, Open Discussions, General Discussion, NOKIA MUST KILL IPHONE, BEFORE IPHONE KILLS NOKIA
    CHAPLIN

mosh.nokia.com/user/CHAPLIN
    share.ovi.com/chaplin

Nokia Developer Champion

hi chaplin
    doesnt mind that
    your post looked me like a great blogging stuff not a developing stuff thats why i posted that sort of a answer

Nokia Developer Moderator

This forum is indeed for general discussion among developers and about topics they have interest into. None here dictates Nokia's strategy or have any other degree of influence on the topic.

So, what exactly is your point and if you identify yourself as a developer, what will you do, in terms of creating innovative applications, to contribute to the "murder" you are advocating? It is easy to comment from the side, like a football fan, but why don't step on the field if you really know your stuff, Nokia is constantly looking for talent.

I'm sick and tired of hearing this iPhone story, followed by iGoogle and iWhateverElseMightBeHotToday. My answer to all this is simply: get a life!
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi Lucian
    Its really a good response. I dont know about others but i am feeling motivated to jump into the field.

-- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi Lucian again
    i am just a student of engineering in 7th sem so i have some more time to wait.

If you're tired to read about iphone so don't get into the discussion, I have posted this topic for everyone who is interested on it, so if you're not, you don't have to waste your time insulting others. Finally, I have the same right to post anything I want related to this website, as you do.

You go get a life.
    For sure Forum Nokia should pay more attention for the comments they allow some people to post on this website.

CHAPLIN

share.ovi.com/chaplin

My comment was generic, not targeting your post in particular. And I did join the conversation since I do want to hear your constructive opinion as to what the developers active on this forum can do in order to kill whatever needs to be killed.
    Last edited by ltomuta; 2008-07-12 at 19:05.
    -- Lucian

Super Contributor

Hi 卡洛斯CHAPLIN! Welcome to Nokia Developer Discussion Boards!!

Thanks for your comments and advice on the first post. You are here in Forum Nokia, where we talk more about application development issues in Nokia phones. As ltomuta mentioned, why dont you look in a way that, you create an innovative application for Nokia devices that could show the real power and ability of Nokia devices. If you love Nokia devices, that would be one of the ways to show your love!

Also as the link pointed by ltomuta, you can apply in Nokia careers and can show your skills to create better devices.

I remember some where I have read " IF YOU AREN’T PART OF THE SOLUTION; YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM !" (does it apply here ? )

Regards
    Gopal

LOL
    Of course I agree with you. Anyway, this was just a point of view of the right now situation, not a sado masoquism games.
    CHAPLIN

share.ovi.com/chaplin

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 卡洛斯CHAPLIN View Post
    TMotorola V3 has become the most selling mobile phone in history.
    It isn't. By far.

Yes, it was

whatever
    CHAPLIN

share.ovi.com/chaplin

Super Contributor

Am not here for a contradiction, but thought I should post what I have seen previously.

@ 卡洛斯CHAPLIN have a look at here http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/07/n...illion-served/

Do you have any facts or figures that proves you are correct ? Just curious!

Regards
    Gopal