Discussion Board

Post Basic Concepts for Mobile Application Development

Hi to all,

I am new to mobile application.So I want to discuss some confusions about mobile application development

1.Why we need to install ActivePerl before installation of SDK?
    2.Why we required to install Java Run Time befor installation of SDK?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Basic Concepts for Mobile Application Development

Quote Originally Posted by Faisal Rehman View Post
    1.Why we need to install ActivePerl before installation of SDK?
    You do not need. You need to install some suitable Perl before you plan to actually use the SDK. Because it is full of Perl scripts, you can not compile/build any projects without having Perl. And the ActivePerl version 5.6.1 635 (but 638 also works in practice) is important, because otherwise (with 5.8.x or 5.10.x) you will get various error messages instead of building.
    2.Why we required to install Java Run Time befor installation of SDK?
    You do not need. You need to install a suitable JRE (slightly varies between SDK-s), if you want to access the configuration panel of the emulator. Because it is written in Java.

SDK's build chain is driven by perl scripts so in order to build your applications you need Active Perl installed. Make sure to read SDK's release notes as not all Active Perl releases are supported.

The SDK might check if Active Perl is present and refuse the installation otherwise, that is why you should install Perl first.

The SDK also uses some tools which have been written in Java therefore you need the JRE. As far as I remember it can be installed after the SDK although I doubt that there are computers without an already installed JRE ... Any recent JRE will work, but see the link below for more info about tools and one JRE related known issue.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Post Re: Basic Concepts for Mobile Application Development

Thanks for ur reply :)
    some of other confusions are:

3.What is mean by feature pack in SDK?
    is there any difference between 2nd ed fp1,2nd ed fp2 and
    2nd ed fp3?

4.Can I run sis file of 2nd edition fp2 in 2nd edition fp3?or vise varsa?

5.In S40 series application developement can be done in both C++ and java but in S60, development can only done in C++ (Java is not used)?am I right or worng?
    Please tell me differences between S40 and S60 series?

6.can I use RDA to test messageing applications,camera applications etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Faisal Rehman View Post
    3.What is mean by feature pack in SDK?
    It might be about new features. You can check the release notes for example.
    is there any difference between 2nd ed fp1,2nd ed fp2 and 2nd ed fp3?
    Yes.
    4.Can I run sis file of 2nd edition fp2 in 2nd edition fp3?or vise varsa?
    If you think about FP-s as version numbers, you can decide if backward or forward capability occurs more often in the world of softwares.
    5.In S40 series application developement can be done in both C++ and java but in S60, development can only done in C++ (Java is not used)?am I right or worng?
    You are wrong.
    Please tell me differences between S40 and S60 series?
    S40 uses proprietary OS, which you can not access, however S40 supports Java.
    S60 uses Symbian OS, which you can access via native C++, and S60 also supports Java.
    However S40 adopts new JavaME features slightly faster, since there is no alternative, like C++ in S60.
    S40 SDK-s also have release notes I think.
    And you can compare Java capabilities of Nokia products on www.forum.nokia.com/devices
    6.can I use RDA to test messageing applications,camera applications etc?
    RDA has its documentation too.

Good answer from wizard_hu_ but since I wrote mine to here we go:

3) It would be easier to understand them if you convert the names into numbers. S60 2nd Edition = 2.0, S60 2nd Edtion FP1 = 2.1, S60 2nd Edition FP2 = 2.6, S60 3rd Edition = 3.0, S60 3rd Edition FP2 = 3.2

So, a FP SDK is an increment of the base release, bringing fixes and improvements to the base SDK but also a set of new features/APIs (the "feature pack") which are new and only supported by some of the phones.

Example: S60 2nd Edition FP3 (aka 2.8) has all the characteristics of the base platform (2.0) but it brings, among other things Scalable UI support. This new feature is only supported by a subset of the S60 2nd Edition devices, namely those supporting the Feature Pack 3.

The new SDK will most likely be also based on a new OS release so it will also have the OS enhancements.

4) Older builds will run on new devices (unless there's a documented binary compatibility break). It is not guaranteed that something build with FP3 will work on e.g. FP2 devices, as mentioned above the added features are product specific and a program using e.g. Scalable UI will not work on devices that do not have that feature.

5) The opposite. S60 supports Java only (and Flash). In S60 you can use Symbian C++, Open C/C++, Flash, Python, Java Script (widgets) ...

6) Yes.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite