Discussion Board

Thread: need help

need help

hi there,

im developing a program that uses gprs to send and recieve data. but i dun have a clear idea of using the symbian api for gprs connection. could anyone give me any hints ? btw are there any examples that i should look into ? thanks a lot

chet

Regular Contributor

RE: need help

Hi,
    i think that you want to use the GPRS bearer to exchange data over a TCP/IP protocol. In order to do this you can see all the examples on the sdk related to client server application(series60ex->....). Generally i use the RSocket class to realize a connection but you can also use the standard unix sockets including several libraries.

Regards

RE: need help

Hi,

I don't know what the difference is between an RSocket and a UNIX socket. You know, the socket terminology is originated from a Berkeley Unix platform and as such each socket solution how something to do with Unixes, I guess.

But, back to the point : I prefer RSocket class that makes socket communications very easy. All you need to do is to choose the right access point that uses GPRS as bearer. It's possible to transmit data both over TCP/IP and UDP. Generally, the first is preferred, because it's easier to use.

Socket example doesn't work : just read a few posting in this section, you may realize that many of us have already faced with this. It's because there's an improperly configured communications db in SDK v0.9 that doesn't make it possible to establish a connection from windows emulator. Please look for the topic with the title of "Socket connection with 7650" or similar. It describes a possible solution that may help.
    Obviously, if you tried to make a connection from your phone, then there should be a properly configured access point. It's different from the afore-mentioned RAS AP, because RAS should be used by the emulator only.

Hope that I could help,

tOtE