Discussion Board

Cannot run console application on S60 3rd gen (nokia 6110 navigator)

Hi all,

I'm new in Symbian developement. As a first step, I have successfully imported and compiled example console application.

I could install it on device, but unforutanetly, after successfull installation, my this application is _not_ shown among other installed applications.

GUI applications are shown correctly. There is no problem with them at all.

Can you help me with it? It is ever possible to run simple console (definitely not GUI) applications on S60 3rd gen devices?

Thank you in advance,

Joe

BTW: My current goal is to write an application which loads right after device boot and when device is fully started, this app is supposed to start and watch my own java app. I'm very close to the end of development, but I cannot write an app, which unseen starts and works like I described above.
    - I can already set application to start after device boot, i can find my java app, i can list running processes, but I still cannot find a way, how to pack all the functionality to a single not gui app...

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: Cannot run console application on S60 3rd gen (nokia 6110 navigator)

Quote Originally Posted by mcbure View Post
    Hi all,

I'm new in Symbian developement. As a first step, I have successfully imported and compiled example console application.

I could install it on device, but unforutanetly, after successfull installation, my this application is _not_ shown among other installed applications.

GUI applications are shown correctly. There is no problem with them at all.

Can you help me with it? It is ever possible to run simple console (definitely not GUI) applications on S60 3rd gen devices?

Thank you in advance,

Joe

BTW: My current goal is to write an application which loads right after device boot and when device is fully started, this app is supposed to start and watch my own java app. I'm very close to the end of development, but I cannot write an app, which unseen starts and works like I described above.
    - I can already set application to start after device boot, i can find my java app, i can list running processes, but I still cannot find a way, how to pack all the functionality to a single not gui app...
    Of course, you can run your Console based application on real device. You can create icon for your console application and launch it as you do with GUI application.

Check this Wiki article: Executing Console Applications on Devices

By the way as you said, you have already managed to autostart your console application then what else you want.

For dealing with Java application(launching, observing etc...), you may like to see this long discussed thread(Read it thoroughly). http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=135580

Kiran.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Cannot run console application on S60 3rd gen (nokia 6110 navigator)

An application is only visible in the menu, or listed as an installed application, if it is in fact registered with the application framework. This registration is done by providing that <project>_reg.rss resource file which tells what the UID of the application is, what the name of the binary is and whether any particular caption and/or icon should be displayed.

Have you provided such a resource file? Have you installed it on the phone?

Also, while it is ok during the R&D stage to have such an icon, it would not make any sense at all to have it in the final release.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Red face Re: Cannot run console application on S60 3rd gen (nokia 6110 navigator)

Hi Itomuta, I succeeded to autostart application - but it was GUI application. I'm sorry that I didn't write enough about my autostarting experience. So - I can autostart only a GUI app.

My testing console application can be installed, but it is not among installed application and unfortunately it didn't autostart as well.
    - maybe it can be solved with adding some needed resource...

My testing console application is based on hallo world console application. I added autostart functionality and added some write to file code to be sure application has run after boot. Nothing has been written to file, so I think, it didn't start.

I must go through all the links you have provided me, before I'll post new reply.

Regarding my goal - I really need very simple application that must be starting after boot of phone. When it's started it must check running processes and in case my Java application is not running it must run it. When user kills my Java application, my "watching" application is supposed to restart it.

I'm originally Java app developer, I'm very new to Symbain. I decided to write symbian C++ application because I couldn't get rid of red button which can kill my Java app unexpectedly.

My "watching" application should be running on background (best way is without window), to ensure user will not kill this watching app.

Console application should have been the first step - for testing purpose. Final application must be without any gui/console.

Thank you very much for your help.

Josef

Thumbs up Re: Cannot run console application on S60 3rd gen (nokia 6110 navigator)

Hi Kiran,

it works nice. With you help I'm able to run console from within a phone menu, so I can now do my tests, which will (i hope) lead to finishing of my project.

I will let you know soon how I succeeded.

Resources was the issue.

Thanks a lot,

Josef