Discussion Board

Simulation vs Real Connection

Thanks to this forum, I manage to get my EAIF Emulator, Phone Simulator (Provided by nds) and the sample OriginatingApp to work together. My questions are:

1) Will I be able to do it the other way round? I mean send a MMS message from a phone simulator (e.g 7210 simulator) to EAIF? Is yes, basically how can I achieve this?

2) It is guaranteed that if this simulation (MMS message sending to EAIF and displaying the message in phone emulator) works, it means that it will/must work in real live connection to a real MMSC? Or do I need a little extra configuration in my coding? If it is the case, how can I do this?

3) If I uses all tools and the Java library provided by Nokia, and the answer to the above question is positive, can I use the same coding to connect to different MMSC (E.g. Nokia MMSC and Ericsson MMSC)? Or do I need some minor/major modification?

Thank you in advance. (Sorry if I'm asking silly questions)

Nokia Developer Expert

RE: Simulation vs Real Connection

Hi!

1)
    No you can't. As the phone is a emulator based on a real phone software message sending is done top of a WAP protocol trough a WAP gateway to MMSC. There is no connectivity methods, other than file interface, available at the phone.

2)
    EAIF emulator is just a External Application Interface Emulator, it does not act like MMSC just like EA-Interface. The EAIF emulator saves the received message to a file that can be used on phone emulator. So in a real world phone never communicates with the interface used in the simulation you described. But as far as you can run your application against EAIF emulator there should not be any reason why it would not work in a real world.

2)
    No, EAIF is a Nokia interface and there is no other MMSC vendor that uses the same interface. In a long run, Nokia will provide tools for MM7 interface that is specified by 3GPP and will be used by other MMSC vendors hopefully.

Teemu / Forum Nokia

Thanks a lot. One more question, how do I test if my application whether it can receive MMS messages from mobile terminals? Nokia provide a real MMSC for testing which we have to pay for it right? If yes, and if I pay for it, can I access it from outside the Europe? (As far as I know, the physical location of testing MMSC is located in UK right?)

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi again!

You can test an application that receives MMS messages from MMSC by using the EAIF emulators Terminating application part. Just push the "New message" button, form a new message, push the "Send" button and specify the URL/port where your application is listening incoming messages.

Our European Developer Lab is located in Helsinki Finland, I'm writing this from Tampere Finland. We will have lab facilities available also in Singapore, Dallas and Beijing in near future.

Teemu / Forum Nokia