Discussion Board

Java, S60, and Linux

Hi,

I realise this has been asked a thousand times, but a lot of the information I'm finding from searching is years old. It's difficult to sort the old from the new.

My primary operating system is Linux; I do all my development etc here, and don't have a Windows install handy. I want to test drive a couple of bits of J2ME code on the S60 platform; in particular, code which uses libraries only available to S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2.

I've retrieved S60-3.2-SDK-f.inc3.2130.zip, which contains a Windows setup .exe; I've run this via Wine to "install" it. So I have those jar files, etc. I also have Sun's Java Wireless Toolkit, which seems capable of running CLDC 1.1 MIDP 2.0 software.

What I want is an easy way to edit source files (emacs), probably with the simplicity of compilation that ktoolbar provides. I'll need the class libraries that are provided in S60-3.2, obviously, and perhaps the emulator included in S60-3.2 can run via wine. (Or maybe WTK's emulator can just use the appropriate jar files? Unlikely...)

Has anybody gotten any of this working, and if so, how? J2ME and I have never been friends, largely due to the bewildering array of different configurations, versions, vendor specific enhancements, and also the lack of Linux-native development tools.

Regular Contributor

Re: Java, S60, and Linux

In addition to a "me too", I can add a little - hopefully helpful - information.

The latest SDKs support the Gnu Compiler Embedded toolchain aka "GCCE". It's basically gcc that targets ARM. Thus, while you can use the command line "abld" tool for building, you can also use the non-windoze-based system of your choice for compilation. I did so to ease some porting of a "legacy" system to the Symbian/Nokia S60 3rd Edition world. It's all C code.

That legacy system already had its own build management tools, so I could "simply" bolt on the GCCE suite as the compiler of choice. Then - for trial purposes - I could pick up header files from the SDK to get compilation to succeed on my Linux system. When I got clean compilation of the many bits of source, I could move with some certainty into the "native" Symbian build environment on Winblows. I decided to move to Carbide.c++ and all its trappings because that way I had emulator support. Yes, it would be lovely to have a Linux/X11 native emulator. In theory, there's no reason the Carbide environment couldn't run under Linux - it's Eclipse-based - but hooks into things like the emulator and remote debugger probably are the complicating factors.

If you are "pure Java", you can of course avail yourself of write once, test everywhere. In that mode, getting your prototype running under Linux is probably a good start as long as you are familiar with any limitations imposed by the JRE in the SDK/OS.

Things like Emacs are available for Win32, and the latest works pretty well. I've been using Emacs for over 25 years, and I make sure I have the editor wherever I go. For a while I ran my Carbide.c++ environment on my Winchews system, but I had all the files residing on a samba share hosted by my Linux system. With rdesktop and VNC I could be working on my workstation of choice, with the Redmondware box over in a dusty corner. In the future I may run an instance of XP in a VM on my Linux system; still needs a proper license and dues to Mr. Balmer, but one less physical box to worry about.

But lest that sound like it's all OK, yes, I would cheer and even pay for a version of Carbide.c++ and the SDKs that could run natively under some version of Linux.

Re: Java, S60, and Linux

Now that I think about it more clearly, all I really need are the various JAR files; it should be possible to use various standard tools, with -bootclasspath, etc, set correctly, right? I can test on a real phone...

If so, then if anybody has any pointers to allow me to do this, that would be appreciated.