Discussion Board

memory out exception

Hi all,
    I got this exception in emulator while testing my midlet, i left it running for some time to check memory behavior and experienced this...

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
    java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

how ever memory monitor available with emulator constantly shows 77 Kb memory being used by the application. I am unable to understand this behavior,

need help in this respect.

Regards,
    Kashif Nawaz

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: memory out exception

Hi Kashif Nawaz,

this, to me, does not seem to be a midlet-related issue. Which version of WTK are you using? Approximately, how long have you kept it running before getting that Exception? Also, did you get it one time only, or do you get it every time you execute your midlet?

Pit

Regular Contributor

Seems that the memory profiler may have a memory leak.

You're not the only one with this error:

http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp...7873&tstart=30

but there is no answer.

Regular Contributor

Thumbs up Re: memory out exception

its a very common exception.Just delete the content of c:\WTK2.5.1\appdb\DefaultColorPhone folder and i recommend that when ever you are going for a new application, before running your application first delete those files.
    Be hungry,Be foolish
    vivart pandey

well today i first time looked into this directory specified in last reply to thread c:\WTK2.5.1\appdb\DefaultColorPhone, and i found no file there,except a directory named 'filesystem'... however i got this exception repeatedly on the same day, i'm still not sure why it happened and started work to restructure my application as it was having many references from one method to other, now its lessened,

Now I think extra references might cause problem to heap as i am not facing it now. though still can't say any thing for sure ;-)

Regards,

M. Kashif Nawaz

Regular Contributor

Thumbs up Re: memory out exception

I thought that you are working on the sun emulator that's why I have replied that delete the file of the appdb. If you did not find anything in this directory it means that you are not working on sun emulator. I am working on Sony Ericsson and blackberry in office and on Nokia at home. After some debugging I always find the exception like outmemory for that I always delete the appropriate db folder contents and fix this issue because of that I have replied this solution based on my experience.
    Be hungry,Be foolish
    vivart pandey

thanks vivart pandey, I never meant that your suggestion is wrong, However I couldn't find any thing to be deleted in that directory. However I've noted it and it might be helpful in some other scenario, who knows what we will be facing very next moment.

Regards,
    Kashif Nawaz