Discussion Board

N80 script/program to call python programs

I'm working on this project where this python script communicates with a device through bluetooth and gets packets and sends it online. The two stay out far away from me and I don't have access to them. Basically, there are two issues. The first is bug fixes, the second is bluetooth connectivity, which seems to drop out every so often.

Although bluetooth connectivity itself is a bug to be fixed, I've proposed a solution to both of them. I want some outside script/program that runs our update python script every so often. I'm not sure if it is possible, but I basically want to have the python script running, have some outside script/program close it, reopen python and run update.py, then open our python script and have it connect to the last bluetooth address.

My python / N80 expert said he isn't sure if it is possible, so I've come here. I've programmed a lot of C/C++ and some java, very little python, and I wasn't too sure where to post it, so here I am. I probably will be programming it.

Re: N80 script/program to call python programs

does anyone know if this is possible or should I be looking for an alternative solution?

Nokia Developer Moderator

If you search for Python C++ in the Wiki, you will find a Python how to... page with a lots of links, and you will also find a direct link to "How to calling python from C".

thank you for your reply.

I am developing on a mac/linux, is it true that there is only a windows SDK? I'd prefer not to use WINE. I've also heard the crashes can be ugly and that it is not really portable or open source.

Are there other languages I can use to call python scripts? If not, what is the best way to build/install on a mac/linux? Even if i get it working, is there a way to make the N80 not to ask if it can access the internet each time the python script is called after it is closed?

Thanks

Nokia Developer Moderator

About the IAP question, the given Wiki article (I mean the Python how to-s now) links something about setting the default access point.
    For the SDK problems I would suggest having a VirtualPC/VMWare, however there is a Wiki page about developing on Mac OS (search for mac for example). But it indeed uses Wine and requires Intel processor.