×

Discussion Board

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    102

    Launching signed sis app from self signed sis exe

    Hi I am trying to launch a dev signed sis exe using a self signed sis. It works fine in the emulator but not on the phone. Is it the case that self signed executables cannot launch dev signed apps???

  2. #2
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    179

    Re: Launching signed sis app from self signed sis exe

    I don't think so. It should not happen.
    Can you provide more details?

  3. #3
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    102

    Re: Launching signed sis app from self signed sis exe

    Quote Originally Posted by NevePankaj View Post
    I don't think so. It should not happen.
    Can you provide more details?
    I am trying to pass some commandline args to the new application. The launching application is a self signed app which just starts another application(dev signed) with some command line args and exits immedieatly. Both applications are UI based applications.

    The two applications work independently. Atleast they launch when clicked.

  4. #4
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    28,675

    Re: Launching signed sis app from self signed sis exe

    Quote Originally Posted by kdurga View Post
    Is it the case that self signed executables cannot launch dev signed apps???
    That should not matter. Exactly how does not it work?
    Also note that if it works in the emulator, you can check if there are some platform security warnings in the logfile: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/Epocwind.out

  5. #5
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    102

    Re: Launching signed sis app from self signed sis exe

    Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    That should not matter. Exactly how does not it work?
    Also note that if it works in the emulator, you can check if there are some platform security warnings in the logfile: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/Epocwind.out
    It doesnot launch the new exe...I dont see any platsec warnings in the epocwind.out. Can you provide me with a method to debug this situation on the device??? I tried to launch the launcher and put break point in the other exe. But i dont see any break points getting hit.

  6. #6
    Nokia Developer Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Posts
    1,572

    Re: Launching signed sis app from self signed sis exe

    well may be some thing is leaving ?? see for all the errors you have got.
    Also may be the other app is starting, but crashing before your breakpoint...

    are you getting any panic anywhere... have u enabled extended panic code .... see wiki to enable "extended panic code"
    Amit Kankani
    Nokia Developer Champion

  7. #7
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    102

    Re: Launching signed sis app from self signed sis exe

    Quote Originally Posted by amitkankani View Post
    well may be some thing is leaving ?? see for all the errors you have got.
    Also may be the other app is starting, but crashing before your breakpoint...

    are you getting any panic anywhere... have u enabled extended panic code .... see wiki to enable "extended panic code"
    I found out the problem...
    I wanted the self signed exe to launch the dev signed exe. But i didnt want the exe icon of the dev signed exe to appear on the applications screen. So in the dev signed pkg i removed all the lines which copied the rsc, mif, hlp files and just kept the exe.

    Now when i revert the dev signed pkg back to copying all these things to the device it works.

    Is there any way not to show this icon in the application screen?

  8. #8
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    4,533

    Re: Launching signed sis app from self signed sis exe

    Quote Originally Posted by kdurga View Post
    I found out the problem...
    I wanted the self signed exe to launch the dev signed exe. But i didnt want the exe icon of the dev signed exe to appear on the applications screen. So in the dev signed pkg i removed all the lines which copied the rsc, mif, hlp files and just kept the exe.

    Now when i revert the dev signed pkg back to copying all these things to the device it works.

    Is there any way not to show this icon in the application screen?
    Probably the registration file from the one you dont want to be seen can be taken away.

  9. #9
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    102

    Re: Launching signed sis app from self signed sis exe

    Quote Originally Posted by Symbian_Neil View Post
    Probably the registration file from the one you dont want to be seen can be taken away.
    Got the solution
    Use the KAppIsHidden flag in AIF resource (.rss) file.
    RESOURCE AIF_DATA
    {
    app_uid=...;
    num_icons=2;
    embeddability=KAppNotEmbeddable;
    newfile=KAppDoesNotSupportNewFile;’
    hidden=KAppIsHidden;
    }
    http://s60pro.blogspot.com/2008/04/h...s-in-menu.html

  10. #10
    Nokia Developer Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Posts
    1,572

    Re: Launching signed sis app from self signed sis exe

    so that was that simple... had you mentioned that you had removed all the lines but exe, it could have been much easier.

    but good you got to know.

    another way would have been, remove the reg_rsc file ... and that could have worked either... just give it a try and let know....

    anywayz you have a working solution so nothing to loose...
    Amit Kankani
    Nokia Developer Champion

Similar Threads

  1. Old unsigned sis and new Symbian Signed
    By y.a.k in forum Symbian
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 2008-07-22, 07:44
  2. Multiple EXE in one sis file : which UID ?
    By nono240 in forum Symbian Tools & SDKs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2008-06-18, 16:05
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2007-09-02, 13:48
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 2006-02-28, 13:05
  5. Launching an app from pJava..
    By krajag in forum PersonalJava
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2002-10-10, 19:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
×