Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question Finding mobile location with API?

Hi all,
    I am a new joinee to this forum and this is my first post. Please help me with ideas. I want to write programs for location based service for Nokia N-series models with symbian OS with Java as my language. for that i need to fetch the mobile location from the mobile itself. Is there any library which provide me with APIs to do that which also suits to my device criteria and OS? How can I use those APIs? any tips/code snippets are most helpful to me.
    Is the location of the mobile device is stored somewhere in the device so that API will fetch that? After finding location I need to test that code with any Nokia N-series phones. Is there any simulators which provide me the environment to test and debug my code for location finding? please suggest any latest one for this type of device.
    any links are most appreciated. please give me the recent API/Library/Code snippets information compatible with my to-be programmed application.

Last, but not the least, thanks in advance for your support.
    Good day All,
    sanjay

Super Contributor

Re: Finding mobile location with API?

Hi SanjayKhuntia,

You can find many articles about LBS in our Wiki.
    Please check this page:
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...Based_Services

Most articles describe C++ development, but You can also find articles that describe approach of Java Mobile.

Regular Contributor

thanks Den for the reply. I have gone through those sites but none mentioned anything about find the device location. plz suggest me any API to fetch the location of mobile where can i find it.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Which sites?

There's only one site recommended above and incidentally it is this this site, just not the forum but the wiki. I wonder how is it that you have missed such article as "How to obtain and save current location" (C++), "Location API" (Java) and many more like this on that page ...

As for asking for APIs, do you mean Java or Symbian C++ APIs?

Regular Contributor

yeah, my mobile is Nokia-N series with Symbian as its OS. certainly I need java api for the programming as i want to work using java,not c++ apis. plz dnt be angry if i ask you silly questions, becoz i am new to java/j2me for the development work. can you plz guide me how can i use those java api to find location of my device?
    what steps do i need to follow before i start writing the code using such api. i am using eclipse as my IDE. i also need to simulate that code with the device itself.
    shall i downlod Series60 SDK 3rd edition for my coding purpose. below is my device info-

Nokia N72 Technical Specs
    Operating System:
    Symbian OS v8.1a
    Developer Platform:
    S60 2nd Edition, Feature Pack 3

plz suggest ....

Getting started guides are available at http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/reso...tting_started/ and the Java forums above (like Mobile Java Tools & SDKs and Mobile Java General) are the best places for such questions.

Of course you need the right SDK (S60 2nd Edition FP3 from here).

Once you get your first hello world application running on the phone come back here and let's discuss LBS related issues.

Good luck.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by SanjayKhuntia View Post
    I need java api for the programming as i want to work using java. can you plz guide me how can i use those java api to find location of my device?

Hi Sanjay,

All the code you need to access the GPS device on the phone is at http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...E_Location_API.

But you need to consider that the only information a GPS device can give you is your latitude and longitude. If you want to find out which city or even street you are in then you will need access to map data.

If you want to find out more about how to use map data, and get sample data and free access to development tools, then you should take a look at the NAVTEQ Network for Developers.

Hope it helps...

- Mike
    NAVTEQ Network for Developers
    http://www.nn4d.com

Regular Contributor

Hi mike,

just want to ask a general question. whether is it posssible to get location info from the device itself without taking the help of any GPS or operator service? only my phone is connected with the network. does any API for Nokia Symbian API phone give these direct information without using GPS service or MSC info??

plz give some light on this. I will not use the GPS mapping or MSC information to find the location, since it will make my coding little heavier. I want to get rid of by using direct-fetch-and-get location info...

thanks for your reply...

sanjay

Sanjay,

can you please describe clearly what is it that you need?

So far I understood that you want to retrieve location info in a Java application running on S60 3rd Edition phones.

What are you planing to do with the location? What level of accuracy is required for your location estimate?

You say you want to get the information from the device itself? Great, but how is the device going to know the current position? It will have to look for it using some positioning technology (GPS, radio triangulation, radio beacon proximity) or ask for it to be provided by an external service provider (network operator).

What is wrong with that? Why do you not want to use the GPS for example?

The simplest positioning info is the CellID and LAC, that position yourself in the proximity of a GSM base station. Is that what you need? Is that good enough for your project? If so, go to the Java forum and search for "CellID", or ask for help in retrieving that info. Alternatively look for info related to JSR 179 and use more advanced (and more precise) technologies such as GPS and A-GPS.

Please note that whatever technology you use it will all be reduced to "direct-fetch-and-get", that's the point of having the APIs. You do not have to write code to control the GPS satellites, not do you have to launch your own satellites on the orbit. Just read the documentation and you'll see that it is all too easy.

Super Contributor

And do note that just getting the cell ID/LAC is useless, if you don't know where the cell (basestation) actually is, and you don't know the direction from the cell unless you know how wide a sector the basestation antenna is covering. And for further accuracy, to find out approximately how close you are to the base station, you need additional timing information. Without such data, the cell ID is just a number that doesn't tell you anything except that you have to be connected to a cell that your particular operator has decided to identify using that particular number.

And for further pinpointing, you'd also need to know what other cells are nearby, which you might be able to connect to, but have a weaker signal, so you aren't, and then know where they are physically, how their antennas are directed, and the timing info.

And, usually (or never, really) network operators do not publish details such as physical coordinates of their basestations and how the antennas are directed and what kind of signal strenghts they are using.

Quote Originally Posted by SanjayKhuntia View Post
    Hi mike,

just want to ask a general question. whether is it posssible to get location info from the device itself without taking the help of any GPS or operator service? only my phone is connected with the network. does any API for Nokia Symbian API phone give these direct information without using GPS service or MSC info??
    Hi Sanjay,

Not that I can add much to the other answers you have had except to say that accessing the GPS device using JavaME is by far the simplest and easiest way to get the phone's current location... it is only a matter of five or six lines of code.

All other methods will involve a lot more coding and either a lot of data stored on the phone or access to that data over the network. Much heavier and slower!

There are many webinars and whitepapers on the NAVTEQ Network for Developers Web site that explain how to start programming location based applications on mobile devices.

- Mike
    NAVTEQ Network for Developers
    http://www.nn4d.com

Regular Contributor

Hi,
    I successfully got the CellID using the J2ME lib on S60 SDK. i tested on the emulator also. How can I test the code on the actual device to show the Cell ID on the display when the app is run? I have created the JAR/JAD file and now using the Nokia PC Suite to transfer those files to the phone's installation folder and run from there...Is this the right way to test my sample app on the device..Should the JAR/JAD files are to be run on the phone to test the sample code on the actual device..what if my code crashes on the real device...will it harm the contents of the phone?

plz guide me to run the app on the mobile ph (N72)...

thanks for all the support you provided me with...
    regards,
    sanjay

Regular Contributor

Question Re: Finding mobile location with API?

Hi Itomuta,
    I have written code for getting Cell ID using S60 3rd edition FP2 SDK
    and tried to run the application on Nokia 6630 phone having Symbian OS v8 and 2nd edition FP2. But after running the application, the Cell ID, MCC and MNC and IMEI are coming as null, but phone model details are coming right..while running the application on the Nokia emulator the Cell ID is also found as NULL. How come my application does not show the real CELL ID on the actual phone instead of showing as "null".

please tell me how can I get the real Cell ID from my phone.(I used S60
    3rd edition FP2 SDK and J2ME lib to get Cell ID from System.getProperty() method). Can I get the CELL ID from the phone itself using the System.getProperty() of J2ME lib...then why cant i am unable to get the real Cell ID?
    I found some answer from one user that we can get Cell ID and any system info if the device supports that feature or we need operator specific signing to fetch the info.

does this happen due to the mismatch of Development platform of Mobile. since i used S60 3rd edition FP2 SDK and i tested it on platform having S60 2nd edition FP2 device?
    please give me some light on this...
    Many many thanks for the valuable replies.
    sanjay

Sanjay,

Rule number one: use the right SDK for the right phone. Chosing the SDK is not like downloading the latest version of Firefox, when you expect that the latest is the best. For software development you need the matching SDK, no more and no less unless you really know what you're doing.
    Rule number two: ensure that what you're trying to achieve is actually achievable on the targeted phone.

To my knowledge (please note that I am not a Java developer) the capability of retrieving cell id info was a recent addition to Java on S60. So, please check the S60 2nd Edition SDK's documentation an see if you can read the CellID, if so how? and then only start developing the software.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

you can also use some ready made SDKs for location information. There are some SDK providers who give you easy access to maps, geocoding, routing etc. while using their databases, so you can get the specific address of your mobile device. for example - check out www.atlasct.com.