Discussion Board

Why does Nokia blow it again?!?!?

Dear Support team,

i know this is not your fault...but anyway:

Ok, you give the people all these great color phones - fine!

But why do you equip them with such a small heap memory all the time!?!?! 200KB (3510i, 7210,...) of heap i definately not enough when it comes to games. By storing all images as 16Bit your heap is full faster than you can say "oops".

Developers will not be able to deliver a great gaming experience with this limitation! If your game graphics consist of a 200*125 color image it will already consume 50.000 bytes (out of 200K) of heap memory - and you ceratinly do not get much graphics into 200*125!

I know that your engineers are not game developers but you should ask the developer community about what is really important! Then we will be able to deliver truly great games for your platform!

Best regards,
    Norman Hartmann

Regular Contributor

RE: Why does Nokia blow it again?!?!?

Hello Norman,

I'm not working for one of teams creating phones, but here is my 2 cents worth.

The mass market phones are mass market phones because they are reasonably priced. The price can only be kept reasonable, because the component costs, including memory, are not high. More expensive phones and PDAs are sold in tens of thousands compared to mass market phones that are sold in tens of millions. You have to decide if you want to create really cool games for a small market or nice games for a big market. Nokia Series 60 phones (Nokia 7650, Nokia 3650, Nokia n-Gage) are nearest to a mass market game/application devices with lots of memory and fast processor - and phone functionality. Series 30 and Series 40 phones are first phones and only then application devices.

Another thing is that more memory translates to more power drain. Most users wouldn't be too happy if the phone had only very limited operating time.

Regards,

Petteri / Forum Nokia

Thanks Petteri,

i know about this, but still i needed to complain a bit ;-))

To be honest i would prefer to take off some ram from the midlet memory in favour of heap!

The problem is that i do not want to EITHER create great games for a small market OR just OK games for a mass market BUT create great games for a mass market!

I do not see adding a few KB will use that much more power resources, but you sure know better than me. And you are right, i have seen devices with great processing power and only 80hrs (!!) of stand-by time!!

Anyway, no good solution to a recurring problem.

Thanks anyway,
    Norman

Gotta say something...

Great game doesn't need lots of graphics, have you played any classic game lately?

Also comparing to the 64kB size limit of a MIDlet 200kB heap is quite decent.

Finally how often do you need to have multiple full-screen 16-bit picture loaded in a game suitable for mobile phone?

Just my 2c.

Dear beebee...

It appears to me that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Are you a member of the industry / games developer?

_Norman

Regular Contributor

Hello Norman,

It's not so easy to change MIDlet memory to heap as they are physically different type of memory. MIDlets are stored in NVRAM and heap is in DRAM.

Regards,

Petteri / Forum Nokia

Regards,

Petteri / Forum Nokia