Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Open Signed Offline and Protected UID

Hello,

I know that it isn't possible to use a protected UID and Open Signed Online but what about the offline version??

I tried to programs each of them using a protected UID. I signed both using open signed offline but then it didn't work as I expected it to. I could install the first app but when I try to start it it gives me "System Error". When I change the UID back to an unprotected one it works flawless.
    With the other app I didn't even get so far, as when I try to install it I get an "Actualization Error".

- Simon

EDIT
    I just figured out, why the actualization error occurs. It's because the old app can't be overwriten by the new one when UID differs. So you have to delete the old one manually first.
    Last edited by schnesim; 2008-07-25 at 10:06.

Regular Contributor

Re: Open Signed Offline and Protected UID

I just found some very interesting information on the symbian developer network:

1.19 What is the UID Range for Open Signed Online?

Open Signed Online allows SIS files to be signed where
    - UIDs are in the Test Range (0xE0000000 to 0xEFFFFFFF) OR
    - UIDs where the email address of the submitter matches the email address of the UID owner for the Protected Range (0x20000000 - 0x2FFFFFFF) and Unprotected Range (0xA0000000 - 0xAFFFFFFF)
    So you can use protected UIDs even with open signed.

But this still leaves me with question, why my app throws a system error when using a protected UID.

Anybody an idea?

Cheers
    Simon

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by schnesim View Post
    I just found some very interesting information on the symbian developer network:

So you can use protected UIDs even with open signed.

But this still leaves me with question, why my app throws a system error when using a protected UID.

Anybody an idea?

Cheers
    Simon
    That should not be a problem. You can use Protected Range of UID. There must be some problem in your application. Make sure that you have changed all the occurrences of your old UID with this newer Protected range UID.

Have a thorough search for old UID in your project directory.

Kiran.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by schnesim View Post
    What kind of "System error" do you get? Have you modified all occurences of your UID (.mmp, App::AppDllUid, _reg.rss is the minimal set)?

Regular Contributor

Thanks to kiran I searched my project again for an occurence of the old UID. Before I had only searched by eye which was not thorough enough as it turned out. I found an occurence in the projects application source file which I had totally forgotten.

After also changing this I finally got rid of the system error.

Meanwhile I did some research on the forums to find out what this system error really means as there aren't any further information given. All I got to see is simply "System Error".
    Well it turned out that this means that there is a general UID mismatch within the project. This info was really hard to find as it appears nowhere on the usual symbian error code pages and maybe it helps anybody in the future who also faces this error.