Discussion Board

Differences between 3410 and 6310 J2ME

Hi,
    I have an app, that is 29K in size, that works fine on a 6310i, when provisioned via IRDA. When I try to run it on a 3410, which has been provisoned via WAP/OTA, the app starts to load, with the 'Opening Application' screen, but then just drops back to the menu.

I guess the app is throwing some kind of exception on the 3410. Does anybody have any ideas why this might be? different heap size, supported Api's etc?

Any help would be *so* appreciated, as this product has to ship within a week, and the 3410 really doesn't make it very easy to figure out what went wrong.

Thanks.

Andy.

RE: Differences between 3410 and 6310 J2ME

I had a similar problem and found out that Image.createImage throw some IOException when ready to big images. I had a 630x14 image and I wasn't able to read .png bigger than 200 pixel width ...

Hi, looks like you guys were able to at least do some form of provisioning. Any info on how you did it? Thru IRDA, did you just beam the .jad or .jar file over? I have tried over WAP, but the phone (6310i) says 'Unknown File Format' when I point it to a file of mime-type "text/vnd.sun.j2me.app.descriptor" (it does not have .jad extension, coz my web host doesn't recognize that extension; I wrote a JSP to set the mime-type instead). Any pointers? Thanks!

3410 seems to want everything as strictly as specifacted or more. I had similar problem when trying to start application, but playing around with .jad, classnames, directories and filenames helped.
    Also the .JAR manifest must contain everything you could imagine. For example Siemens is happy with MIDlet-1, but Nokia requires MicroEdition-Configuration etc.

Also downloading via WAP/OTA seems to be strict. I also tried to set MIME type withing HTTP header, but it still wasn't enough for 3410 (or WAP gateway?) Setting correct MIME-types to Apache config did the thing and after that downloading worked as smoothly as ever.