Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question Symbian API to get Cell ID and LAC for Nokia mobile...

Hi,
    Can anyone plz guide me regarding those Symbian Java API which gives Cell ID and LAC from the NOkia mobiles having Symbian OS and Java support? I don't want to take the help of GPS to get location info from my mobile, rather I will use those Symbian system APIs which in trun return me the location info on mobile without contacting any MSC or Service provider application, but fetching those information form mobile device itself..

Becoz, nokia phones have Symbian Os with Java support. so I have to use the OS specific API to get those location info using my Java program...plz give me any pointers or ref. for the above locational info finding..

thanks in advance for the support.
    regards,
    sanjay

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Symbian API to get Cell ID and LAC for Nokia mobile...

I'm confused, are you in need of Symbian C++ APIs (ETel3rdParty API, see CTelephony) or Java APIs? And for which version of the S60 platform?

Regular Contributor

Hi,
    I am going to work for Symbian OS60 3rd. edition FP1 or higher with Java as my application development language. Is there any Symbian OS API which return me the location info of mobile without taking any helo of GPS or MSC? it just has to fetch those info from the system files or anything of the mobile.

The only thing is the locational info should be available on the mobile device itself..not from any other service or application...

BTW, thanks for the valuable reply..
    regards,
    sanjay

Regular Contributor

sorry, i forgot to mention version. it will be 9.X Symbian OS.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Then you are [again] in the wrong forums. These forums are about Symbian C++, Java topics should be discussed in the Java forums, like this one.

You cannot access native Symbian APIs from Java, you can only use whatever the Java APIs offer.

Question Re: Symbian API to get Cell ID and LAC for Nokia mobile...

Hi ltomuta,

I am working for Symbian OS60 3rd. edition FP1. I need symbian code snippet which help me to get the cell id which also include MMC, Signal strength & other details.

Thnks,
    Amit

Super Contributor

All these are avaliable if you take the time to search the wiki or even just try reading the documentation for CTelephony.
    Download Symbian OS now! [url]http://developer.symbian.org[/url]