Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

App runs on emulatro but does NOT start on device

Hello,

I'm updating an already designed S60 2nd edition project, and I'm able to run it perfectly on the emulator, but when I'm trying to run it on the device (Nokia 6630) it does not even start,
    I've tried to log the operations to see where it crashes using RFileLogger class, and I'm not able to log anything, I've added a logging operation on the App class, the Document class, and the AppUi class

Does anyone have any idea what could be the reason for this,

I can provide you with anything required,

here is a sample of the .pkg file

Code:
    ; Languages
    &EN

; Header
    #{"Movi"},(0x20007C61), 0, 1, 1

; Platform compatibility
    (0x101F9115), 0, 0, 0, {"Series60ProductID"}

; Target
    "I:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Epoc32\release\armi\UREL\Movi.app"				-		"!:\system\apps\Movi\Movi.app"
    "I:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Epoc32\data\z\system\apps\Movi\Movi.aif"		-		"!:\system\apps\Movi\Movi.aif"
    Thanks in advance

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: App runs on emulatro but does NOT start on device

Don't you need some resource files for that application?

Nokia Developer Champion

1. Are you using RVCT compiler ? because i see a armi ... if not then make it thumb, or even better, use build macros..

2. did you try catching panic ? see this link to enable panic codes and let know what panic are you getting :
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ded_panic_code

hope this helps
    Amit Kankani
    Nokia Developer Champion

1) Not available for 2nd Edition

2) Not working on S60 2nd Edition FP2 and FP3(it used to work before that and it works again in S60 3rd Edition)

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by amitkankani View Post
    1. Are you using RVCT compiler ? because i see a armi ... if not then make it thumb, or even better, use build macros..

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ded_panic_code

hope this helps
    Does "S60 2nd edition" support RVCT ?

Nokia Developer Champion

well I am sorry ... but it is not the basic thumb compiler... and like 3rd i thought there would be a rvct !... sorry again...

about panic codes:
    so can we not see any panic in s60 2nd FP2 and FP3... no way at all ?

in case we cannot, then if we can compile it on 2nd edition FP1, then it could be tested on any of the FP1 devices (most likely the code is same, until n unless some FP2 or FP3 specific functionality is used)
    Amit Kankani
    Nokia Developer Champion

Super Contributor

amit: please focus on the problem.
    yazwas: there should be 4 files at least in your pkg file.

1. Movi.app [you have]
    2. Movi_caption.rSC.
    3. Movi.rSC
    4. Movi.aif [you have]

I would say two: Movi.app and Movi.rsc

Theoretically an application can exist without a resource file
    Quote Originally Posted by SDK Help, AppUi::BaseConstructL
    The application's standard resource file will be read unless either the ENoAppResourceFile or ENonStandardResourceFile flag is specified.
    practically it is easier to have one.

Naturally Movi.aif can remain (since you already have one), but Movi_caption.rsc is not mandatory (though if you happen to see one in epoc32\data\z\system\apps\Movi, feel free to install that too).

Hello All, Thank you all for your replies, and I'm sorry for my late reply,

This is the full .pkg file I have

Code:
    ; Languages
    &EN

; Header

; Platform compatibility

; Target
    "I:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Epoc32\release\armi\UREL\Movi.app"				-		"!:\system\apps\Movi\Movi.app"
    "I:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Epoc32\data\z\system\apps\Movi\Movi.aif"		-		"!:\system\apps\Movi\Movi.aif"
    "I:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Epoc32\Data\z\system\apps\MOVI\Movi_caption.rSC"-		"!:\system\apps\Movi\Movi_caption.rSC"
    "I:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Epoc32\Data\z\system\apps\MOVI\Movi.rSC"		-		"!:\system\apps\Movi\Movi.rSC"
    "I:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Epoc32\data\z\system\apps\Movi\Movi.mbm"-"!:\system\apps\Movi\Movi.mbm"
    "I:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Epoc32\release\armi\urel\MoviVideoRecorder_0x20007C65.dll"-"!:\system\libs\MoviVideoRecorder_0x20007C65.dll"
    "I:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Epoc32\release\armi\urel\MOVIAUDIORECORDER_0X20007C64.dll"-"!:\system\libs\MOVIAUDIORECORDER_0X20007C64.dll"
    "I:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Epoc32\release\armi\urel\MoviXMLEngine_0x20007C68.dll"-"!:\system\libs\MoviXMLEngine_0x20007C68.dll"
    "I:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Epoc32\release\armi\urel\MoviHTTPEngine_0x20007C67.dll"-"!:\system\libs\MoviHTTPEngine_0x20007C67.dll"
    "I:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Epoc32\release\armi\urel\MOVIFTPENGINE_0X20007C63.DLL"-"!:\system\libs\MOVIFTPENGINE_0X20007C63.DLL"
    "I:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Epoc32\release\armi\urel\SyExpat.dll"-"!:\system\libs\SyExpat.dll"
    "..\group\SrvMDB.xml"-"!:\system\apps\Movi\Temp\SrvMDB.xml"
    "..\Settings\mvsettings.dat"-"!:\system\Apps\Movi\Settings\mvsettings.dat"

;@"movilaunchsettings.sis",(0x0d1bc694)
    ;@"movirtmapper.sis",(0x20007C62)
    I may be missing something, if anyone can see something I can't or maybe something is missing, it would be thankful

Best regards

I wonder what you have expected from showing two lines...?

Your application seems to be rather complex, and what is missing (KErrNotFound, -1) obviously does not appear in the .pkg file, that is why it is missing.
    Check if you have other movi*.dll-s for example, but it is really hard to tell anything.
    Search for movi-related files (movi*.* and any other filename you use in your code), and check them one by one if they are necessary on the device or not.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by yazwas View Post
    Hello All, Thank you all for your replies, and I'm sorry for my late reply,

This is the full .pkg file I have

Code:
    ; Languages
    &EN

; Header

; Platform compatibility

; Target
    "I:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Epoc32\Data\z\system\apps\MOVI\Movi_caption.rSC"-		"!:\system\apps\Movi\Movi_caption.rSC"
    "I:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Epoc32\Data\z\system\apps\MOVI\Movi.rSC"		-		"!:\system\apps\Movi\Movi.rSC"
    "I:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Epoc32\data\z\system\apps\Movi\Movi.mbm"-"!:\system\apps\Movi\Movi.mbm"
    "I:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Epoc32\release\armi\urel\MoviVideoRecorder_0x20007C65.dll"-"!:\system\libs\MoviVideoRecorder_0x20007C65.dll"
    "I:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Epoc32\release\armi\urel\MOVIAUDIORECORDER_0X20007C64.dll"-"!:\system\libs\MOVIAUDIORECORDER_0X20007C64.dll"
    "I:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Epoc32\release\armi\urel\MoviXMLEngine_0x20007C68.dll"-"!:\system\libs\MoviXMLEngine_0x20007C68.dll"
    "I:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Epoc32\release\armi\urel\MoviHTTPEngine_0x20007C67.dll"-"!:\system\libs\MoviHTTPEngine_0x20007C67.dll"
    "I:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Epoc32\release\armi\urel\MOVIFTPENGINE_0X20007C63.DLL"-"!:\system\libs\MOVIFTPENGINE_0X20007C63.DLL"
    "I:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Epoc32\release\armi\urel\SyExpat.dll"-"!:\system\libs\SyExpat.dll"
    "..\group\SrvMDB.xml"-"!:\system\apps\Movi\Temp\SrvMDB.xml"
    "..\Settings\mvsettings.dat"-"!:\system\Apps\Movi\Settings\mvsettings.dat"

;@"movilaunchsettings.sis",(0x0d1bc694)
    ;@"movirtmapper.sis",(0x20007C62)
    I may be missing something, if anyone can see something I can't or maybe something is missing, it would be thankful

Best regards
    Wow . so big pkg and you showed us only 2 lines. how can we help you with that.

I suggest you test all sis files individually. also the UIDs.

Nokia Developer Champion

well thats the reason i wanted to know the panic codes....
    and as panic code is not available in FP2,FP3, it is a good idea, if the compilation happens on FP1 ... (as most of the code is same)...
    it is often easier to trace problems on FP1, and come back.

Between, everyone here is learning, and also helping each other, so mistakes do happen
    Amit Kankani
    Nokia Developer Champion

It is so long since I've worked with a S60 2nd Edition project, I do not really remember all that it is to be remembered

If the application does not get loaded and exits before having a change to log anything it must be that there is a UID3 mismatch or the resource file is corrupt.

So, here's something you can try:
    - check that the UID3 in the MMP file matches the app_uid field in the AIF_DATA resource and also matches the value returned by the application's AppDllUid().
    - add logging to the AppDllUid() method, at least that one should be called, at least once.
    - paste here the content of movi.rss with whatever is included between the start of the file and the RESOURCE RSS_SIGNATURE statement

Nokia Developer Champion

also i remember now, I faced similar problem when i had declared the resource file in mmp in the wrong fashion (3rd edition fashion)... when i removed the targetpath from resource, and made it just
    Code:
    SOURCEPATH      ..\group
    RESOURCE        MyResource.rss
    it worked...

just verify this is not the cause once...
    Amit Kankani
    Nokia Developer Champion

Remember that according to Yazwas, the application actually works, in the emulator. Since resource files are the same on the device and in the emulator, they do not really matter.

Yazwas: you may try making a backup of your complete epoc32 folder, then deleting everything related to your application (movi*.* I think), and trying a full re-build. First for the emulator - to check if it still works -, then for the device.