Discussion Board

Re: Set up debug environment on S60 devices (N95)

Hi,

I am new to the symbian device development. I am currently setting up an application development environment for S60 devices using S60-3.2-SDK-f.inc3.2130.zip, Carbide.c++_v1.3 and GCCE. Appreciate any helps for the following questions:

1. I am using GCCE for building the application, I guess the GCCE is a cross compiler tool to build the application using SDK libraries. But what the Carbide C++ is for?

2. Is the S60-3.2-SDK-f.inc3.2130.zip equivalent to UIQ3.1SDK.exe? If so, should I either use the S60-3.2-SDK-f.inc3.2130.zip or UIQ3.1SDK.exe on any devices which using 3rd Edition of SDK?

3. How to set up the on target debugging? Can the serial port on PC be used to connect to S60 devices for debugging? Does the debug require any commercial tools?

4. Any recommendations on which phone can be used for the best debugging? I suppose the N95?

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Jim

Super Contributor

1. I am using GCCE for building the application, I guess the GCCE is a cross compiler tool to build the application using SDK libraries. But what the Carbide C++ is for?
    Carbide.C++ is a IDE for symbian development can be used with both S60 and UIQ.
    2. Is the S60-3.2-SDK-f.inc3.2130.zip equivalent to UIQ3.1SDK.exe? If so, should I either use the S60-3.2-SDK-f.inc3.2130.zip or UIQ3.1SDK.exe on any devices which using 3rd Edition of SDK?
    It all depends on which device you want to deploy / test your application if it a Nokia/samsung S60 device then you have to use S60 SDK else UIQ.
    More information (like version of SDK) you can find from device data sheet.
    3. How to set up the on target debugging? Can the serial port on PC be used to connect to S60 devices for debugging? Does the debug require any commercial tools?
    You can use USB/ blue tooth to deploy. most of new phones comes which Pc Software that will help you installing on device.
    4. Any recommendations on which phone can be used for the best debugging? I suppose the N95?
    you can use any device available with you, if you are only learning.
    Also you may want to develop on devices that have specific Hardware like N95 has GPS etc depending on what software you are developing.

Thanks skumar_rao. Is it also possible to use SDK emulator for debugging? If so, is there a document on how to set up SDK emulator debugging?

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Jim

Nokia Developer Moderator

There is nothing [much] to set up, just hit the Debug button in Carbide after successfully building your application. The application will start and the execution will stop at the first breakpoint you have set in your program.

Carbide's help has plenty more info about the debug process.