Discussion Board

Super Contributor

Has anyone done sudoku?

I'm doing core dump and this is less than 2 min action:

Has anyone done PyS60 Sudoku yet? There are lots of python source around, I recall from earlier research, but at that time there wasn't anything for PyS60 == around March 2008.

Howabout now? Has someone already written a version, released it? Not sure, if I really want to put it on my todo list. Have lots of other games to write first, haven't played sudoku myself. It's just so easy for PyS60 (compared to other games I already really want to write )

Cheers,

--jouni done 2 min action and going to forget all about this until I come back for possible replies

Regular Contributor

Re: Has anyone done sudoku?

Yeah Jouni, it will be too easy for you to make Sudoku. I have played it plenty of times, so if you need any advice i would be very delighted to help you.
    IDEAS is all they need but still they think only Genius can give them that.

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi Jom
    again a good idea of game from you i dont think anybody yet have tried that but its good that you are ready for it.
    And as always any help i am always there do consider that.

Enjoy Pythoning
    Gaba88

Regular Contributor

ya i have gon through sudoku in symbian .c++, if u need ,i can help you in case of logical matters..how u'll put intelligence, or level of difficulty....
    first of all r u designing sudoku problem or solver..????

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by rkmohanty View Post
    if u need ,i can help you in case of logical matters..
    Thanx, but I'm actually trying to AVOID writing Sudoku . Just wondering, if someone else has already written it. It's not so easy to find out what pys60 sw there is

Quote Originally Posted by shubhendra View Post
    Yeah Jouni, it will be too easy for you to make Sudoku.
    Thanx shubhendra and gaba88!

Sorry, but in all the hurry I didn't quite manage to say things right: writing sudoku requires planning and research, it would be rather long and complex application. It wouldn't be easy for anyone!

Still I cannot see any major problems: UI is a static 9x9 grid, each cell contains numbers written by built-in font, not really any animation just movement of focus from cell to cell, doesn't require network access, doesn't require any special capabilities etc. Basic stuff, just lots of it. One single code file, no external resources needed.

There is (more or less free) sample code available for both creator and solver, lots of written material about rules and playing strategy, sample puzzles to download/embed, so even that part is just basically not too difficult porting and optimization task.

That's the version 1.0. There are of course lots of possibilities for improvement after that, including custom graphics and sound effects, website to share highscore and download "daily" sudokus, editor to create own and share with friends etc. It can be made difficult, hard and ... well, huge. If someone wants to.

Takes time, which I don't quite have... So I was wondering, if anyone has made the most simplest version already and I could cross it over from my "maybe" list as something which has already been done. That would be the best news to hear

Cheers,

--jouni

Super Contributor

I wrote a Sudoku solver back in the day. The prototype was in PyS60 and the "real" version in C++, for 2nd Edition devices. You can download the C++ version here for free (page in Finnish, click "Projektit" and "Sudoku-ratkaisija S60-älypuhelimiin"). Alas, there's no version for 3rd Edition devices.

I just tried it, and the PyS60 prototype works on 3rd Edition devices as well. I'll include it here. You can re-use the GUI if you want to make a complete game out of it. NOTE: You need to change the UID if you want to try it on a 3rd Edition device.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by jethro.fn View Post
    I wrote a Sudoku solver back in the day. The prototype was in PyS60 ... I just tried it, and the PyS60 prototype works on 3rd Edition devices as well. I'll include it here. You can re-use the GUI if you want to make a complete game out of it. NOTE: You need to change the UID if you want to try it on a 3rd Edition device.
    !!! Thank You Thank You Thank You !!!

Now I don't have to make yet-another-something and can put my energy into something new... like how to make it easier to find already existing software! Easy problem, easy fix, I'll try to have a demo available this weekend.

Thanx,

--jouni