Discussion Board

Exclamation S60 3rd Edition SDK Feature Pack 2 v1.1 Installer problems

Good day

There are problems with installer for the S60 3rd Edition SDK Feature Pack 2 v1.1 (file S60_3rd_Edition_SDK_Feature_Pack_2_v1_1_en.zip). I just downloaded it and run on my Windows Server 2008 box. Since my C:\ drive is almost full I specified disk E:\ as installation path for the SDK and this results in error saying that no space available on the disk. Seems like even if I say to install it on E:\S60\... the installer still thinks that C:\ should be used... However after moving back and forth between installer dialogs and choosing Typical mode it seems to work. Maybe this is because I am running the installer on unsupported platform?

Another problem is NewFeature1 shown in the Custom components dialog: what is this for? Why there is no description for it?

Here are screenshots of the dialogs:

Thank you
    Martin Rakhmanov
    http://jimmers.info

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: S60 3rd Edition SDK Feature Pack 2 v1.1 Installer problems

Yes, the rather unorthodox platform might be responsible for your problem, could also an installer defect since within Nokia we seem to assume a lot that everybody's system drive is C: and that there is space on it.

Also, I hope your C drive is not really full, since the SDK will install some files on the system drive anyway (\Program Files\Common Files\Symbian\...).

However, you OS is based on NT so it supports file system junctions so if you really want to have the SDK installed in the default path it can still be done without much effort.

NewFeature1 is a highly secret feature. I've asked the SDK team about it but got no reply, sign that even I don't have the required access level Just ignore it, it will most likely not install anything.

First of all, I appreciate your help and fast response.

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Yes, the rather unorthodox platform might be responsible for your problem, could also an installer defect since within Nokia we seem to assume a lot that everybody's system drive is C: and that there is space on it.
    I checked this on Windows 2000 box - the problem is there. So I guess that is a bug in the installer project.

Also, I hope your C drive is not really full, since the SDK will install some files on the system drive anyway (\Program Files\Common Files\Symbian\...).
    I checked the path you mention: it is less than 8Mb in size, which is obviously okay (since I was finally able to install the SDK to another drive).

However, you OS is based on NT so it supports file system junctions so if you really want to have the SDK installed in the default path it can still be done without much effort.
    I guess you mean NTFS (not NT). However junction does not increase the disk free space (and this is what the installer checks for). Correct me if I'm wrong - I tried to make a junction
    with Sysinternals junction.exe tool and the installer complained about the space...

NewFeature1 is a highly secret feature. I've asked the SDK team about it but got no reply, sign that even I don't have the required access level Just ignore it, it will most likely not install anything.
    Then it should be removed

Nokia Developer Moderator

I was talking about the OS as a whole but indeed, the NTFS junction does not create more space at such but application can be moved/installed on e.g. the E: drive while for all intents and purposes the system will see those files on the C: drive. Thus the reported size of the drive remains constant but its capacity is virtually unlimited.

No further maintenance work is scheduled on the SDK so unfortunately as confusing it might be that NewFeature1 thing will be with us forever.
    Last edited by ltomuta; 2008-07-30 at 20:08. Reason: Typo

Super Contributor

So you checked on Windows 2008 Server and Windows 2000?

Do you have chance of installing the SDK on any of the supported platforms (XP or Vista Business)?

System requirements
    ===================
    Basic requirements:
    - Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Microsoft Windows Vista
    Business.
    Hartti

Hi,

The "NewFeature1" is an OpenC Plugin. You can find it in the location: S60\devices\S60_3rd_FP2_SDK_v1.1\Plugins\OpenC.

Thanks

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Martin_Rakhmanov View Post
    Good day

There are problems with installer for the S60 3rd Edition SDK Feature Pack 2 v1.1 (file S60_3rd_Edition_SDK_Feature_Pack_2_v1_1_en.zip). I just downloaded it and run on my Windows Server 2008 box. Since my C:\ drive is almost full I specified disk E:\ as installation path for the SDK and this results in error saying that no space available on the disk. Seems like even if I say to install it on E:\S60\... the installer still thinks that C:\ should be used... However after moving back and forth between installer dialogs and choosing Typical mode it seems to work. Maybe this is because I am running the installer on unsupported platform?

Another problem is NewFeature1 shown in the Custom components dialog: what is this for? Why there is no description for it?

Here are screenshots of the dialogs:

Thank you
    Martin Rakhmanov
    http://jimmers.info

this happens with any SDK. you can install it only on C:\ drive

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

I'll report this to the SDK installer team.

Ron

The problem is still there - S60 5th Edition SDK. Installing on Windows XP SP3 32 bits, drive D:.