Discussion Board

Thread: JSR 179

JSR 179

how does JSR 179 exactly determine the location without using GPS?Does it use the cell id for the same?Are there any alternative methods?Does it require network operator to provide network based services?

Super Contributor

Re: JSR 179

Without an internal or external (Bluetooth) GPS receiver, JSR-179 does require that the network supports LBS services. Just getting the cell ID is not much of a location, unless you know where that cell (basestation) actually is physically. Without that info, it is just a number.

So, yes, with the absence of actual GPS, network operator support is required.

ok..assuming that network operator does provide support,how do i go about it?As far as i understand,classes within JSR 179 contain some functions which output the location in terms of latitide-longitude.But what information do they use to do the same?How does JSR 179 use cellid(if at all it does)?
    And if the network operator does'nt support,then what is the solution?Pls reply
    regards,
    Ani

hi
    I intend to develop an application which needs the current location without using gps.I've read many similar articles but could'nt find much.I'm confused with location api.How do i go about doing the same using c\c++?

Super Contributor

You can intend, but as stated, if you don't have an actual GPS receiver, then you do need the network operator's support (in other words, the operator must support location based services on the network).

Just getting the cell ID is not enough to know where you are unless you happen to have a database for the network that tells you the physical location of the basestation.

And even if a network operator would publish the coordinates for every basestation, with the cell ID alone, you still would not know how far and in which direction from the basestation you are (you would also have to know how the antenna is directed, the signal strength and various timing data/info and ideally also where two or more nearby cells are, and their antenna direction, signal strength, etc.

And even if you happened to get all that from one network operator, then there are probably several others in your country alone, and more than a thousand globally.

So, it doesn't matter if you use Java or C++, if the network doesn't support LBS services for applications running on phones.

Note also that if operators do provide network based LBS for application developers, they may - and probably do - charge you (or the customer) separately for the information.

Only by having a GPS receiver will you be able to know where you are for sure and anywhere in the world and without requiring special support/service from the network operator.

Anyway, the C++ S60/Symbian APIs for location based services are documented in the S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 1 SDK (and later versions). Look them up there.

ok.So how do you suggest i go about it?Is this impossible without using gps and having network operator's support?I want only to display the map of the cell in which the mobile user is currently stationed,not the exact pinpointed location.
    Google has recently come up with a similar service,which locates mobile users on maps without using gps.Do you have aby idea about that?
    thanks,
    Ani

Super Contributor

With just the cell ID it is impossible if you do not get the cell's (basestation's) physical coordinates from the network operator.

So, trust me, you do need either a GPS receiver, or network support for location based services.

i am nubie in developing mobile aplication / j2me.
    and when i read this thread, i kinda confuse,
    so, is it true :
    when i get System.getProperty("cellId"), it doesn't need JSR179 device support?

thanks.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by aquill View Post
    i am nubie in developing mobile aplication / j2me.
    and when i read this thread, i kinda confuse,
    so, is it true :
    when i get System.getProperty("cellId"), it doesn't need JSR179 device support?

thanks.
    Correct. Getting the cell ID has nothing to do with JSR-179. You don't use JSR-179 APIs to get the cell ID.

However, you'll have an issue getting the cell ID from Java, as it requires on most devices signing the app to the network operator's (separately for every single network operator) or the device manufacturer's domain. Search for existing discussions to learn more: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum/search.php

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    Correct. Getting the cell ID has nothing to do with JSR-179. You don't use JSR-179 APIs to get the cell ID.

However, you'll have an issue getting the cell ID from Java, as it requires on most devices signing the app to the network operator's (separately for every single network operator) or the device manufacturer's domain. Search for existing discussions to learn more: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum/search.php
    Thank you Petrib, it makes me clear.

you are right about the signing,
    i'm developing app with Java, and now i'm stuck on signing thing, because i only have S60 2nd ed FP1.
    And signing needs purchase for it.
    is it posible for free signing?

i have one code as follow
    it is working fine in emulator but not on mobile phones
    this is related to jsr-179
    pls kindly help me
    thank you

import java.io.*;
    import javax.microedition.midlet.*;
    import javax.microedition.lcdui.*;
    import java.util.Enumeration;
    import java.util.Hashtable;
    import javax.microedition.location.*;

public class Location extends MIDlet
    {
    String error = "";
    private static Display display = null;

protected void startApp() throws MIDletStateChangeException
    {
    display = Display.getDisplay(this);
    System.out.println("loading");

LocationProvider lp=null;
    javax.microedition.location.Location location=null;
    Criteria cr= new Criteria();
    cr.setHorizontalAccuracy(5000);
    cr.setVerticalAccuracy(5000);;

try
    {
    lp= LocationProvider.getInstance(cr);
    }
    catch(LocationException e)
    {
    addError(e);
    }

try
    {
    //timeout
    location = lp.getLocation(20);
    }
    catch(LocationException e)
    {
    addError(e);
    }
    catch(InterruptedException e)
    {
    addError(e);
    }

String res="[RESULTS]\n";
    try{

Coordinates coordinates = location.getQualifiedCoordinates();

res+="Altitude:"+coordinates.getAltitude()+"\n";
    res+="Latitude:"+coordinates.getLatitude()+"\n";
    res+="Longitude:"+coordinates.getLongitude()+"\n";

}catch(Exception e){
    addError(e);
    }

Form f = new Form("Results");

f.append(res);
    f.append(error);

display.setCurrent(f);

}

void addError(Exception e){
    e.printStackTrace();
    error+=e.getMessage()+"\n";

}

protected void pauseApp()
    {
    }

protected void destroyApp(boolean unconditional)
    throws MIDletStateChangeException
    {
    }

public static Display getDisplay()
    {
    return display;
    }

}

plz rply fast
    i live in india, mumbai
    write suggation abt service provider if any,

Super Contributor

see my reply to your duplicate post here: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...l=1#post860438