Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question Run MIDlet app on device?

Hi,
    I just wrote a simple MIDlet program to get CellID and other infos for S60 platforms using the SDK and j2me apis. how can I run that simple app on the actual device? The app has created JAR/JAD files in deploy folder of Eclipse. I found some answers like "to run on the device, one has to copy the JAR/JAD files to the device's installation folder and run at that location". my question is do I have to copy the JAR/JAD files thru USB cable to the device for testing on the real device? Plz tell me simple steps how can a MIDlet app done using S60 SDK and J2ME APIs on Eclipse can be run on the real device? Can I debug the app before running it on the actual device?

plz do reply..i need your help..
    thanks.

sanjay

Regular Contributor

Re: Run MIDlet app on device?

Hi there are various ways by which you can transfer the JAD/JAR to the sctual device.
    1- If you have the bluetooth dongle on your PC/laptop and your handset also have bluetooth then you can transfer the JAD/JAR through it. this is the simplest one.

2- If data cable is available for your handset then you can install nokia PC suit, connect the device to your PC and transfer the JAD/JAR.

3- If none of the options are working for you and you have access to any webserver, you can upload your JAD/JAR to the webserver and using the GPRS you can dounload the same.

Hope this will help you.

Regards
    Amit

Regular Contributor

Hi,
    i got the point. but one thing concerns me whether running the JAR/JAD on the device executes the application.becoz i am new to Java/J2mE. do i have to make any installer to run the simple MIDlet app on the acctual device or the JAR will run to get the Cell ID on the device itself?

please give me some findings...
    thanks a lot...

Regular Contributor

HI sanjay,

You are not needed to create a separate installer for any MIDlet. the JAR file itself is the executable binay. The JAD file serves purpose of a kind of property file for the MIDlet containing entries in <attribute: value> format.

Please look at the following link for further clarification-

http://developers.sun.com/mobility/l...idp/lifecycle/

Regards
    Amit

Regular Contributor

thanks Amit, really nice infos...that means i have to copy the JAR/JAD files to my phone and run the JAR file which in turn run the app to show the Cell ID info on phone display...for that I am using Nokia PC Suite to copy the files from my PC to Phone and test it on the phone...
    thanks a lot
    sanjay

Regular Contributor

Hi Amit,
    while running the MIDlet app on emulator, it shows "Select Connection:Uncategorized 1 access point" error and after canceling that twice when it shosws up this message on the emulator screen, then only my app shows correct infos...what is the problem with such kind of access error on emulator? whether it will affect my code to run on phone?
    how can overcome such error? plz give me some info...

sanjay

Regular Contributor

hi,
    just want to add smthng to the previous post..when selecting "Uncategorised accesspoint", then comes "Select accesspoint- Winsock connect". after choosing connect the app runs successfully and shws the result on the emulator screen. what happens and why we should select "Connect Winsock" in emulator screen?

please give some explainations.
    sanjay

Regular Contributor

Hi,
    I have written code for getting Cell ID using S60 3rd edition FP2 SDK and tried to run the application on Nokia 6630 phone. I tried to copy the JAR file to the phone but it showed some message like "Please finish the installation on the phone user interface" and I did the same as told. But after running the application, the Cell ID, MCC and MNC and IMEI are coming as null, but phone model details are coming right..while running the application on the Nokia emulator the Cell ID is also found as NULL. How come my application does not show the real CELL ID on the actual phone instead of showing as "null".

please tell me how can I get the real Cell ID from my phone.(I used S60 SDK and J2ME lib to get Cell ID from System.getProperty() method). Can I get the CELL ID from the phone itself using the System.getProperty() of J2ME lib...then why cant i am unable to get the real Cell ID?

please give me some light on this...
    Many many thanks for the valuable replies.
    sanjay

Super Contributor

Hi,

Sorry I can't help much, but I did find this article, in case you haven't seen it yet. It says that the System.getProperty method works with S60 3rd Edition, FP2 (or newer), and 6630 is S60 2nd Edition, FP 2.