Discussion Board

Building a static interface dll for gcce target

HI,
    I am trying to create a static interface dll in symbian.
    Just wrote a class which exports an interface to print a
    string on console.
    I was able to do it successfully for an emulator build and
    could generate the .lib and .dll files.
    Also tried writing a sample code to use the dll and successfully
    linked the same and called the exported API.

When I am trying to create the dll for a gcce build, I have issues.
    I made a gcce build and then did a export freeze and then
    regenerated the make file. When I am trying to use this
    in a client application it says it cannot find the lib files.

Is the procedure any different for gcce target.
    Does it generate *.dso files instead of lib?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Building a static interface dll for gcce target

GCCE generates a .dll (for deployment, in epoc32\release\gcce\urel), and a .dso (for linking, in epoc32\release\armv5\lib). But it should not need any extra configuration. Have you frozen the .dll after changing to GCCE build?
    As a reference you can check the example from the SDK: Examples\Basics\StaticDLL

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    GCCE generates a .dll (for deployment, in epoc32\release\gcce\urel), and a .dso (for linking, in epoc32\release\armv5\lib). But it should not need any extra configuration. Have you frozen the .dll after changing to GCCE build?
    As a reference you can check the example from the SDK: Examples\Basics\StaticDLL
    Hi wizard_hu!
    Thanks for the neat reply. I have been able to generate the .dll and .dso after freezing it and building again. The issue was that I was looking for a .lib file.
    I need another clarification--
    1. When I change the functionality of an already exported interface. Will just making another build help update the dll or do i need to freeze it, and then build again to regenerate the make files? And to update the make files..i have been deleting them and then make a build again. Without that, it does not seems to overwrite files..any suggestions?

When I add a new interface i will anyways have to freeze to update the def files and make a build again though.

Actually this is the rationale behind freezing: it provides a way to check against changing the interface. The build is going to fail, since compatibility would get broken with previous clients of your .dll.
    During development it is more comfortable to use EXPORTUNFROZEN keyword in the .mmp.

Super Contributor

As said by Wizard_hu, if you are in a development phase, changes are expected to dll so there is no point to freeze that time, instead you should use EXPORTUNFROZEN, Once you have released your component, you freeze it and generate def files for appropriate targets, if after that you add some new functionality to your dll, you build it in normal way and freeze it again, your new exported methods will be appended at the end of def file without changing the previous ordinals, maintaining the binary compatibility.

Ok..Thank U guys!
    I'll work with the EXPORTUNFROZEN in my .mmp file for the actual application developement.
    And freeze it only when I am done. Was just trying sample programs to create a dll..so ended up freezing in between!

I create a dynamic dll named MI_DLL.dll which give me also MI_DLL.lib file for WINSCW emulator debuger configuretion. but when i m trying to creat creat it in phone release GCCE configuration it gives only MI_DLL.dll and MI_DLL.dso file. but the main problem is that, i need MI_DLL.lib file for phone release GCCE configuration. please help me

Real way: the interface has to be "frozen", abld freeze gcce urel or something like that is the command for that, perhaps there is something in Carbide.c++ too
    Hacky way: if you specify EXPORTUNFROZEN directive in the .mmp file, the import .lib files will be generated in non-frozen state too.