Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

getSnapshot on S40

Hi,

I'm trying to capture an image on a S40 device. The problem is that even if i create the Player using:

player = Manager.createPlayer("capture://image");
    videocontrol = (VideoControl) player.getControl("VideoControl");

when i call :

imagebyte = videocontrol.getSnapshot("encoding=jpeg");

i get the following error:

javax.microedition.media.MediaException: Invalid locator: capture://video?encoding=jpeg

Why is the locator set to capture://video when trying to get the Snapshot if the Player is created using capture://image?

Regular Contributor

Re: getSnapshot on S40

Hi,
    One clarification i would like to have is that whether the handset you are using supports the jpeg formata or not?

Does

byte[]imageData=videoControl.getSnapshot(null); works fine and saves the image in PNG(the default)format.

Regards
    Amit

Thx Amit,

Yes, the devices suppots the jpeg format.

The problem was that only getSnapshot(null) only seems to work while getSnapshot("encoding=jpeg") throws a MediaException.

Regards,
    Radu

Is there a fix for this?
    I get the same on the S40 emulator, i.e. create the control on capture://image but regardless of what parameters I put in I get "Invalid Locator "capture:/video?"etc. I've tried
    * getSnapshot("width=1200&height="1600")
    * getSnapshot("encoding=image/png") (as returned from getSystem("video.snapshot.encodings")).

As well as a variety of others all with no luck. The only getSnapshot method that seems to work is getSnapshot(null) which is useless because I need the higher resolution.

I want to getsnapshot and save picture to phone but at least 640x480 resulotion but i cannot?
    I searched at forums and google but i couldnt find anything?
    Is there anybody who knows?

Best Regards
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by will.bath View Post
    Is there a fix for this?
    I get the same on the S40 emulator, i.e. create the control on capture://image but regardless of what parameters I put in I get "Invalid Locator "capture:/video?"etc. I've tried
    * getSnapshot("width=1200&height="1600")
    * getSnapshot("encoding=image/png") (as returned from getSystem("video.snapshot.encodings")).

As well as a variety of others all with no luck. The only getSnapshot method that seems to work is getSnapshot(null) which is useless because I need the higher resolution.

Hi,
    Anybody succeeded in capturing heigher resolution images ?

Thanks,
    sreelakshmi

Nokia Developer Champion

Thumbs up Re: getSnapshot on S40

Hi,
    pls check out the following link may contain solution of ur problem..

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...access-in-j2me
    http://www.hcilab.org/documents/tuto...nceEvaluation/

sorry to say this but me also not found any such important information regarding resolution for series 40 devices. May the links mention above helps u somewhile.

try them and reply..

thanks,
    jitu_goldie..
    thanks,
    jitu_goldie..

KEEP TRYING..

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply . Actually I've gone through the links given by you already. But couldn't succeed . getSnapshot() works, only if I am passing "null". If I pass any parameter, then I get MediaException as explained by Radu in his previous post.

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi,
    Please check the image formats supported by ur device first.

use :>>>> System.getProperty("video.snapshot.encodings");

this will returns u a string contains formats supported by ur device.
    Please check and reply.

thanks,
    jitu_goldie..
    thanks,
    jitu_goldie..

KEEP TRYING..

Hi jitu_goldie,

System.getProperty("video.snapshot.encodings"); returns "encoding=image/gif encoding=image/jpg encoding=image/jpeg encoding=image/jpeg encoding=image/png encoding=image/jpg" .

When I pass null to getSnapshot(), by default it is giving jpeg image.But as of now I am not bothered about the image encoding. I am trying to get higher resolution images.

Thanks,
    Sreelakshmi.

Angry Re: getSnapshot on S40

Quote Originally Posted by sreelakshmir View Post
    Hi jitu_goldie,

System.getProperty("video.snapshot.encodings"); returns "encoding=image/gif encoding=image/jpg encoding=image/jpeg encoding=image/jpeg encoding=image/png encoding=image/jpg" .

When I pass null to getSnapshot(), by default it is giving jpeg image.But as of now I am not bothered about the image encoding. I am trying to get higher resolution images.

Thanks,
    Sreelakshmi.
    Hi all,

I'm also facing the same problem in s40 5th edition phones. No arguments are accepted by getSnapshot (no encoding, no resolution...). I do need bigger images. Is there any oficial response from Nokia?

I also have another problem with MMAPI implementation in s40 phones. Videocontrol returns 128x96 as source width and height but the captured image is 120x160. When I display the camera in a canvas or a form the video area is 128x96, but the video is centered and left black margins at the sides (like films black stripes, but vertical ones). Anyone has experienced this? Any way to workaround it?

Thanks

Nokia Developer Champion

try this :
    byte[] capturedImageBytes = videoControl.getSnapshot("encoding=png&width=480&height=640");
    thanks,
    jitu_goldie..

KEEP TRYING..

Quote Originally Posted by sreelakshmir View Post
    Hi jitu_goldie,

Thanks,
    Sreelakshmi.
    hi,

I too have same problem. r u got the solution to get high resolution.if u got pls help me.

regards
    Gowri

Quote Originally Posted by gowribalaguru View Post
    hi,

I too have same problem. r u got the solution to get high resolution.if u got pls help me.

regards
    Gowri
    See this link, It might help you -- http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...access-in-j2me

Please don't expect that you can capture high resolution images using getSnapshot() in j2me on S40 because most S40 devices have a max heap size of around 2MB , which does not allow us to capture and render big high resolution images.
    Last edited by ektasrv; 2010-06-24 at 10:28.
    Thanks,
    Ekta

Quote Originally Posted by ektasrv View Post
    See this link, It might help you -- http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...access-in-j2me

Please don't expect that you can capture high resolution images using getSnapshot() in j2me on S40 because most S40 devices have a max heap size of around 2MB , which does not allow us to capture and render big high resolution images.
    Thanks for reply
    i want to set default 240*320 resolution to image.but i cannot set the resolution on getsnapshot().if i set ,it returns null.wht to do pls help me

Regards
    Gowri